• SU-99 derailment 5/30/06

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by RichM

Per Mike's answer, the NYS&W revitalization was paid for with a lot of low interest government loans and grants. Most if not all the rail was replaced west of Butler when the long closed portion of the line was reopened. There are old issues of Block Line around with photos of Lautenberg and various local politicos shaking Walter Rich's hands after securing financing. Likewise, a lot of the line was relocated slightly for the 287 construction, the movement coupled to a nice upgrade. I don't know who paid for the ribbon rail east of Franklin Lakes over the past two years, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't NYS&W paying the full price.

I had posed the question on the old forum if anyone remembered whether this original USRA / DOT money was tied to a return of commuter service... the question's still out there, although I'm sure in Cooperstown you would hear a pin drop if you asked.
Last edited by RichM on Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

by L&HR C&S

>And am I reading this right? This >fool wants to shut down a privatly >owned business to convert it to >light commuter rail?

No, that is not the case.
Plans are for double track and a signal system to be reinstalled from Hawthorne to Hackensack for the NJT DMU project.

by quadrock

Went down there last night (6/2) to take a look. Rail is re-built and there is a huge pile of wheels, axles, and rubble next to the tracks. It does look like a very dense area as there is a road intersection every couple hundred feet in the area.

by Steve F45

i went down the day after. it is very tight all around the tracks thru paterson from start to finish.