• Best match for old B&H paint colors

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

by Luther Brefo

This is not as much an HO scale question as it is a "research on the railroad" question...
After purchasing a DCC equipped Atlas Alco S1 on eBay that was presented as an S2, I've decided to make it into Bath & Hammondsport #5.

The only problem is that I do not have any recent (2006) pictures of number 5 nor have I seen the engine in person. Does anyone have pictures of number 5 from this year?

Also what red best describes the red color of the body?

http://www.lalrailfan.net/gallery/album ... coS1-5.jpg

by railwatcher

#4 and #5 appear to look the same.

by Luther Brefo

railwatcher wrote:#4 and #5 appear to look the same.
Yes that is true, but that does not really answer my question.

I have never seen the engines in person and was wondering if someone who has could describe the kind of red it is. I have several pictures in my possession but none of the reds match each other so I cannot be certain of which red is "right"?

by railwatcher

It see. Might pay to ride to Cohocton (NY390 exit 2). Champagne #4 sits outside. Looks like a faded Metalic paint from days gone by, Not done in todays paint styles of base coat/clear coat. Sorry, I couldn't offer more advice.

Greg

by scottychaos

I doubt they were ever metallic.
the paint is actually faded and getting chalky..no gloss anymore, they need waxing! ;)

Its hard to describe colors without having anything to compare it to..

Im also planning on modeling both the B&H switchers eventually, in Large Scale! so I will need to match the red as well!

Here is a plan..we talked about doing this for the LV red for the Sayre U-boat, and I still havent done it..

I will go to a paint store and get some red paint samples..those "swatch" color sample things..then drive down to Cohocton and compare! :P
see which one is a match.
Im planning on driving down to Waverly sometime in the next 2-3 weeks anyway to help out my parents with some yard work, so I will be going right by..that will give us a real-life sample with which to match!
then you can take that paint swatch into model RR shops and match model paint to it...easier than taking a full-size Alco switcher into the train shop! :P

(and if anyone wants to try this idea before I can get to it, feel free!)

Scot

by Luther Brefo

scottychaos wrote: Its hard to describe colors without having anything to compare it to..

Im also planning on modeling both the B&H switchers eventually, in Large Scale! so I will need to match the red as well!

Here is a plan..we talked about doing this for the LV red for the Sayre U-boat, and I still havent done it..

I will go to a paint store and get some red paint samples..those "swatch" color sample things..then drive down to Cohocton and compare! :P
see which one is a match.
Im planning on driving down to Waverly sometime in the next 2-3 weeks anyway to help out my parents with some yard work, so I will be going right by..that will give us a real-life sample with which to match!
then you can take that paint swatch into model RR shops and match model paint to it...easier than taking a full-size Alco switcher into the train shop! :P
Scot
Wow. Thanks a lot Scot! :)
  by Matt Langworthy

scottychaos wrote:I doubt they were ever metallic.
the paint is actually faded and getting chalky..no gloss anymore, they need waxing! ;)
I agree. Having seen the S-1s just 6 years after they were purchased by the B&H, the paint was never metallic. Yes, a nice coat of wax wouldn't hurt.

by railwatcher

If the paint has gone to that condition, it's beyond wax and buffing too.

Greg
  by Matt Langworthy

Depends on the type of paint used. I've saved the paint on several cars that looked alot worse than the S-1s.

by scottychaos

Ok, here we go, an experiment in color matching! :P

sorry Luther, but #5 was in the engine house, and #4 was outside.
they seem to take turns..every time I stop by Cohocton only one is outside..usually 4, but sometimes 5..If I was going to model only one of the pair, I would choose #4 anyway, since she still has her cab windows..
#5 has the windows plated over..
but! how could anyone only model one anyway?! :wink:
seems to me they MUST be modeled as a set! :P :wink:

so for now I have details of #4 only...I will make an effort to get the same photographic record of #5..I drive down to Waverly fairly often, I will keep stopping by Cohocton until I find #5 again!

here is my report:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... sport.html

Scot

by Luther Brefo

scottychaos wrote:Ok, here we go, an experiment in color matching! :P

sorry Luther, but #5 was in the engine house, and #4 was outside.
they seem to take turns..every time I stop by Cohocton only one is outside..usually 4, but sometimes 5..If I was going to model only one of the pair, I would choose #4 anyway, since she still has her cab windows..

so for now I have details of #4 only...I will make an effort to get the same photographic record of #5..I drive down to Waverly fairly often, I will keep stopping by Cohocton until I find #5 again!

here is my report:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... sport.html

Scot
Scot,

Thanks a lot! This is just great! :)
  by Matt Langworthy

scottychaos wrote:sorry Luther, but #5 was in the engine house, and #4 was outside.
I'm not quite sure when #5 had her windows plated over, but she apparently came to the B&H in that condition. Anybody know why?

Railroads You Can Model suggests using just a single S-1 to save expenses, but I'd recommend modelling both. After all, the contrasts like the windows and horn placement make for interesting details.