• Railfanning in Lawrence, Andover, Willmington Areas

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by GP40MC 1116

I am looking at doing some railfanning in the areas listed this comming Saturday. I live in Southern NH, so these are easily eccessible. Also possible is Lowell area too. Can anyone help me out with schedules as far as MBTA and Guilford and Amtrak DE trains, or anything else that i can see, like NH Northcost

Thanks

by MEC407

In regards to the Downeaster, go to:

http://www.amtrakdowneaster.com/schedule.php

and look at the times for Woburn and Haverhill. Since Andover and Lawrence are pretty much midway between Woburn and Haverhill, you'll be able to roughly estimate when the DE will be through that area.

by CSX Conductor

And as far as Lowell, don't eat at Trolley Pizza, uggh. :(

Just be aware of your surroundings in both Lowell & Lawrence as there are many 'seedy' people in both towns. :wink:

by Guilford Guy

Email me and Ills end you directions to my favorie place
2 tracks, MBTA AMtrak+guilford, GGuilford will occasionnlally park a train there
Theres laso an old station

by njtmnrrbuff

I will be in Beantown tomorrow and might take a ride to Lowell. How are the photo angles at the station.

by GP40MC 1116

CSX Conductor wrote:And as far as Lowell, don't eat at Trolley Pizza, uggh. :(

Just be aware of your surroundings in both Lowell & Lawrence as there are many 'seedy' people in both towns. :wink:

Well i stopped in Lowell today, not much just MBCR 333 came in, guess the Conductor dosn't like people because u "can't stay on the platform". GRS had a good sized cut of cars parked on the closest track to the bus platforms. Not much going on though. I found a secret place were u can see the rail train, and get down to the old tower. But in this day in age, and the NO TRESSPASSING Sings, i didn't feel to risk it

by b&m 1566

Best places in Lowell I found would be the Lowell rail yard (Spaghetti Ville). Another good area is off of School Street where the industrial spur to all the mills use to connect (the West leg of what use to be a Y). Lawrence I don't know too much about, I tend to say away from that city.

by GP40MC 1116

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I will be in Beantown tomorrow and might take a ride to Lowell. How are the photo angles at the station.
Here are some pictures partically of what if taken in Lowell , these were taken last week

http://photos.nerail.org/show/?order=by ... y=bkennedy

Basically it's a center island high/low platform thats a good size. I have only sene trains on the track not on the station side. Comming into Lowell via the Train you see the GRS opperation usually LO-1 has power parked their. But you can't see that from the platform. Any one help me out, trying to list spots that don't tresspass

by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:Best places in Lowell I found would be the Lowell rail yard (Spaghetti Ville). Another good area is off of School Street where the industrial spur to all the mills use to connect (the West leg of what use to be a Y). Lawrence I don't know too much about, I tend to say away from that city.
Brian, any idea where this area is, I was their today, but only stayed on the platform basically

by GP40MC 1116

CSX Conductor wrote:And as far as Lowell, don't eat at Trolley Pizza, uggh. :(

Just DD's for me today, no crappy pizza. I laughed at the Lowell PD/Boston and Maine PD "substation" that looks to be closed and used as the DD stock room.

by b&m 1566

GP40MC 1116 wrote:Brian, any idea where this area is, I was their today, but only stayed on the platform basically
If u know where the dam is in Lowell it is fairly easy to find. Heading south once off the bridge going over the dam you will come to a set of lights, go strait across the intersection and stay on that road till you come to another bridge (you will drive right over the tracks), immediately on your left just after the bridge (in fact your still on the bridge somewhat) there will be a road, go down that road it will brings you down to the tracks. After taking that left you can either go strait or take another left that will bring you under the bridge (This is where the train is usually parked at night anyways). If you go strait you will come to some jersey barriers at the end and you can watch the trains pass by there; where the jersey barriers are use to be a grade crossing that was removed years ago. If you also want you can get a shot just on the other side of the tracks but you have to drive through down town Lowell to get there (I don't recommend walking across the tracks). That side of the tracks you can see the remains of the old Y that use to connect to the Mill spur that the trolleys run on today.

by CSX Conductor

GP40MC 1116 wrote:
b&m 1566 wrote:Best places in Lowell I found would be the Lowell rail yard (Spaghetti Ville). Another good area is off of School Street where the industrial spur to all the mills use to connect (the West leg of what use to be a Y). Lawrence I don't know too much about, I tend to say away from that city.
Brian, any idea where this area is, I was their today, but only stayed on the platform basically
South of the station, before the freight main goes off to the left heading southbound. :wink: