• Chester On Track

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by CSX Conductor

Just a reminder that the annual "Chester On Track" will be Saturday May 20th.

Click here for more details. :wink:

by NellsChoo

YES YES YES!!

Things are a bit more complicated on my end, but I sure hope we get there this year! We really enjoyed it last year!

by Agent at Clicquot

I haven't been out in several years (for the event anyway). Any reports on what locos CSX is bringing?

if the weather cooperates, I might bring my moutain bike ... I've wanted to check out an old B&A branch that once lead to a quarry for years. Might renew aquaintences with the arches, too.

Any other rr.net folks headed to Chester on Saturday?

* J *

by NellsChoo

I am curious, though, if they will have to reschedule... or would that be out of the question? I just got back from Maine where roads were crumbling away, so I am still in that WET mentality!!!

**EDIT** OK, I have my answer... rain or shine
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~shirleyb ... ester.html

by bshrdr

I'll be there at some point on Saturday. Probably heading up to the summit around dawn and working my way to Chester somewhere around 11ish. I need to drop off a couple photos I'm donating to the museum I took on a recent hike on the Arch trail. Of course, I'll be partaking in the festivities as well.

When I did the hike, talking to Dave from the museum, there should be two locomotives on display - the usual CSX, and also one of the Army geeps from Westfield.

-Tom

by CSX Conductor

Nells, the rains didn't do as much out on the Berkshires as they did in Boston area, such as Lowell and Lawrence. As for power, I would assume they might try to send a 5200 or 5300 since they sent one of the newest units last year.

Agent, where would the lead to this old quarry leave the main? Is that on the south side of the tracks between Chester & CP-123 ?
  by Agent at Clicquot

CSX Conductor wrote:Agent, where would the lead to this old quarry leave the main? Is that on the south side of the tracks between Chester & CP-123 ?
There's an overgrade bridge on Rte 20, which should be visible from the railroad. I think this branch was abandoned in the 30's. I wouldn't think it would be passible at all except for the ATV trail I see running southwest off Rte 20 near the roadway bridge.

Looking on maps.google.com, the bridge is between Rte 20's intersections with Bay State Drive.

Now that I think about it, I faintly remember finding an abandoned set of r.r. piers next to Blandford Road, near where it meets Rte 20. Looking at the area on maps.google, I couldn't see the right of way.

* JB *

by Jedijk88

The old Chester and Becket branch, abandoned 1931. Those bridge abutments you spoke of are still there. It looks like this branch traversed some rather rugged terrain.
  by cougar3676

I was just curious as to why there was no motive power on display at Chester on Track this year. Or at least there wasn't any by the time I left at around 2pm.

by bshrdr

Traffic was pretty much non-existant. I got up there around 6:30 and only caught 3 westbounds by the time I left around noon. I heard there was a bridge replacement in Warren somewhere that all but shut down the line. That must be why there wasn't any power at Chester. Here's some of the few pictures I took on the day - which also include photos from side trips along my way home - the Army geep still in Westfield and the CSO in East Hartford, CT:

http://www.nanosphoto.com/gallery/thumb ... p?album=30

-Tom

by cougar3676

That's good...I thought maybe CSX was working on some sort of new "stealth" scheme...if so, it works pretty darn good cuz I didn't see a thing! :-)
  by Agent at Clicquot

bshrdr wrote:I heard there was a bridge replacement in Warren somewhere that all but shut down the line.
This is a new one. I heard there was a broken rail in Becket and a railfan I met on the bridge over the summit cut mentioned a track gang at Pittsfield.

I was near the r.r. in Chester from 1230 'til about 1630. I then went in search of the abandoned quarry branch (found some nifty junked autos in the woods, including a 40's Chevy).

Around 1730, the eastbounds started rolling. Of five, I saw an autorack (1830 at MP 135) and a manifest freight (1833 at MP 137.6). At 1943, I shot a westbound manifest running through the cut at MP 137.4). The last train of the night was a westbound autorack I watched run above me at MP 130.5 (the road near the caboose in Middlefield).

* JB *

by CSX Conductor

The tie gang has been doing the Bershire over the last few weeks, doing one of the tracks on double track sections first.....they probably were doing between CP-150 & CP-171 over the weekend, causing everything to get backed-up.