Forum for the discussion of the Budd Company and Budd-Thyssen through bankruptcy. Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Company

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by Engineer James

I found one of my grandfathers old rail magazines from august 1994, and it had a section on B&O #9913. Has anyone ever been on this RDC? It is currently at the B&O Museum.

by TomNelligan

Plus there are the RDCs still in regular use in Canada by VIA.

by va3ori

Other than the handful of RDCs operating in revenue service in Canada, are there any operating in the US in service other than museum and tourist lines? I photographed B&O 9913 several years ago at Brunswick, MD (MARC service??) and it was evidently the last one still in B&O titles.

by DutchRailnut

Yes in Texas at Trinity rail and in New york at Ontrack a syracuse operation run by NYS&W

by Engineer James

NICKEL PLATE?? They owned RDC's? Never knew that!!

by dmk092

Don't forget the ARR (ALASKA)
They own four RDCs which they operate on the Hurricane Turn flagstop service, and have a fifth they use for parts.

by choochoochuck

Cape May Seashore Lines operates RDCs, I guess this is considered a tourist line, but they claim they are for commuter service too.

by glennk419

The Bellefonte Historical Railroad still operates a pair of ex-Reading RDC's in central PA. Reading & Northern also has a pair that are at least semi-operational, but not in service at this time.

by NHRDC121

At least one of the RDC's used by the Bellefonte Historical RR Society (Owned by the Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Comm.) is origionally New Haven #40, built 3/53, ser# 5718.

by glennk419

NHRDC121 wrote:At least one of the RDC's used by the Bellefonte Historical RR Society (Owned by the Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Comm.) is origionally New Haven #40, built 3/53, ser# 5718.
You are absolutely correct. The lineage on BHRR 9167 is: Built new as NYNH&H #40 to PC #99 in 1968 to RDG #9167 in 1975 to PennDot and donated to RMPA in 1984. BHRR 9153 was built for the RDG in 1962 to MBTA #9153 to BHRR in 1989.
  by NHRR WTBY

The Cape Cod Railroad has a Budd RDC, but they operate it as part of a diesel train pulling tourists on day trips. I wonder if it can still operate on its own? Anyone know?

by Engineer James

I am sorry. It was the last b&O... sorry.

by Otto Vondrak

James, Nickel Plate didn't operate RDC's, who told you that?

by Raakone

And don't forget the smallest commuter rail operation in the US, OnTrack (Syracuse), they use RDCs.

~Ra'akone

by W.E.Coyote

And BC Rail was a well-known RDC operator until CN got to it...