• CNJ Photos in Phillipsburg

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

by washingtonsecondary

Can anyone point me in the direction of pictures of CNJ trackage in Phillipsburg? I've seen some, but what I'm looking for is how the track was laid out in regards to the connection to the DL&W and the LV.
  by RDG467

See LV in Color, Vol. 2, for pix of how the LV and PRR were situated in relation to the CNJ. The PRR had a connection that crossed the LV on a diamond and joined the CNJ on the south side of the tracks, almost directly across from the station.

The DL&W met the CNJ about 75 yards west of the Union Station and diverged to the northeast. The station had platforms for both the CNJ and DL&W, hence the term 'Union Station'.

The Friends of the NJTH Museum had a map showing the relation of all the RR's in P-Burg. Not sure if this map is on their website.

Hope this helps.

by pennsy

Hi All,

For several reasons, when I think of CNJ I think of Camelbacks. My Dad went through WWII working in Somerville, NJ and commuting from beautiful downtown Brooklyn, NY with the Camelbacks. Got a chance as a kid to see the beautiful engines and really admire them to this date. I even still like the Ferries that got you from Cortlandt St. NYC to the CNJ commuter trains. For a young kid that was quite an adventure.

On the downside, I do NOT have a camelback on my HO layout. Been looking for one for several years now, but the pricetag puts the brakes on rather quickly. Don't need a second mortgage on the house.

by Camelback

Mantua's Camelbacks are reasonable for steam. Can be had for less than $100 at Trainworld. IHC has a CNJ Camelback as well. Not very detailed but a decent runner.