• Why was ARA abandoned from Attica to North Java?

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

by Benjamin Maggi

The line ONLY exists from Arcade to North Java. NORTH of North Java (sounds funny) it was abandoned because a bridge was wrecked in a storm, and it was uneconomical to replace. So the rest of the line to Attica was abandoned. Don't know if it was torn out, or just left to rot though. Thus, the Arcade and Attica does not go to Attica anymore. South of Arcade, it extends about a mile to connect with CSX.

by nessman

scoobster28 wrote:The line ONLY exists from Arcade to North Java. NORTH of North Java (sounds funny) it was abandoned because a bridge was wrecked in a storm, and it was uneconomical to replace. So the rest of the line to Attica was abandoned. Don't know if it was torn out, or just left to rot though. Thus, the Arcade and Attica does not go to Attica anymore. South of Arcade, it extends about a mile to connect with CSX.
The A&A connects with the NS Buffalo Line via the original Buffalo & Susquehana (I think?) line. There the Wye at the Arcade enginehouse is where the original A&A starts.

I presume everything north of N. Java was pulled up. Even though it was all 70 lb stuff, it still had scrap value. SST and I did a flight over the ROW once and didn't see anything on the ground.

by Benjamin Maggi

Nessman, you are right. I said CSX but it is NS. Actually, believe it or not, I originally typed NS but changed it when I remembered waiting for a train there and it was pulled by CSX power. So I changed my response to CSX. Oh well.

by ctclark1

didn't NS buy CSX anyway? so really scoobster was right...

And yes, the rail between Reisdorf's and Attica no longer exists, it was pulled up for salvage. I didn't know about a bridge being the reason, though. Where was it?

by BSOR Patarak

The line was completely removed. The right of way at Attica is used as a driveway to the Rodeo Grounds. There is a bridge still in place near the Village I believe. Only seen a picture of it, never been there myself. As for the wash out, it was a section of track that was along side the creek. It was an area that the railroad typically had trouble with. The creek constantly washed along the sides. Several attempts were made to drive piles and build retaining walls to stabilize the track. I don't believe it was an actual bridge that washed out.

As for the materials from the track, most of it was loaded onto flats and rolled through Arcade on it's way out. There are stories about how the track crews wanted to drop some of the rail outside of Arcade to replace worn sections and the GM, Richard Cartwright fought it. He had stated that he believed the line would not be needed north of Arcade and that there was no sense putting much into it. Funny how in hind sight the biggest customer is at North Java, the current end of the line. I guess at that point though, most of the industry was at Arcade with Bordens, Aronsons and GLF. It is also said that many of the ties ended up as retaining walls at Holland Speedway when they first built there.

Pat Connors

by Otto Vondrak

ctclark1- NS did not buy CSX. NS owns the former Conrail Southern Tier Line.

-otto-