• White Mountain Central Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by b&m 1566

The White Mountain Central Railroad I have been told that this railroad fallows the path of an old logging railroad, is this true? Was looking at pictures from nerial; they've got quite a collection going on there. I've never actually been there myself, is the ride a scenic ride? I know its part of Clark's Trading Post but it’s got to offer somewhat of a nice ride. Website is here http://www.clarkstradingpost.com/railroad.html

by Guilford Guy

I thought it was an old B&M ROW

by SLR 393

Pretty sure its part of the old East Branch & Lincoln ROW.

by Guilford Guy

Well , lemme go fetch Rail line sof northern NE

by b&m 1566

If it is part of an old ROW it the line still connected to the Hobo Railroad? Or is it an isolated railroad? Otto Vondrak should probably add it to the list in the Railroad Museums and Tourist Lines in New England sticky forum because it is a railroad after all. When did the Clark family start operating the railroad?

by Steam

The WMC began about 1955 or 56 as part of the Trained Bears, etc. attraction at Clark's Trading Post. They began operating with an 0-4-0T Porter which is still operable today, though rarely used due to its small size. The line originally was only a short stretch alongside the river backing up to their museum. Many years later they crossed the river with a covered bridge which they purchased from one of the Vermont short lines, disassembled and trucked to the site and rebuilt. They then extended the track across the bridge and up a grade through the woods on the far side, to a point where they intersected the old right of way which ran from the "wye" in Lincoln into the woods toward Franconia Notch. That was once a B&M connection to the Johnson Lumber Company railroad which ran up into the local hills. The Clarks pushed track out on that right of way until they got beyond where the proposed I-93 highway was proposed to be built, in order to force the highway people to put a bridge over the tracks as well as the river. Otherwise the railroad never would be able to go any farther. The WMC now ends just under that highway overpass. There has been talk of further track extensions, but I have no idea how much right of way is available to the Clarks. They seem content with the operation just as it is. Refer also to Belcher's book on Logging Railroads of the White Mountains.