Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by jg greenwood

Does the CSS&SB ever hire engineers off the street? Since we're not allowed to ask questions re: exact pay, can someone tell me if their wages are "comparable" to other railroads? Thanks for any info.

by MikeF

Are you interested in CSS&SB, the freight railroad, or NICTD, the passenger railroad? They are two separate companies and they do their hiring separately.

PRRGuy can certainly answer your questions in more detail, but I don't believe NICTD hires engineers off the street; you would have to hire on as a collector and be promoted to conductor and then engineer. CSS may hire right off the street; you might try e-mailing [email protected].

by jg greenwood

MikeF wrote:Are you interested in CSS&SB, the freight railroad, or NICTD, the passenger railroad? They are two separate companies and they do their hiring separately.

PRRGuy can certainly answer your questions in more detail, but I don't believe NICTD hires engineers off the street; you would have to hire on as a collector and be promoted to conductor and then engineer. CSS may hire right off the street; you might try e-mailing [email protected].
The NICTD. Sorry for not being more specific. I might add that I'm a tad long in the tooth to go the collector, conductor route. If their (NICTD) policy is to not hire engineers off the street then they're eliminated from the chase. :wink:

by PRRGuy

Yep, thats exactly how it goes over here. First you're a collector, then you get to move up when they tell you. Also, you get to get choose conductor/engineer, they choose for you. Basically whatever they need at the time.

Rumor has it that we may be hiring soon, im not sure for which dept yet.

by dinwitty

its good to learn the line first before engineering, thats important.

I certainly would do that if they get an opening.