• LOOKING FOR A COLOR PICTURE OF LV 105

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by GOLDEN-ARM

Anyone have a color pic, to share, of the "art deco" inspired LV 105, Alco HH-600? Colors look like red, black and yellow, although could be standard "pre-war" colors, with different masking lines. (grey, red and yellow, with black). Steckler has a black and white shot of it, and I want to do mine, in this deco paint scheme. Thanks in advance, for any Valley assistance. :-D

by Lehighrrgreg

Golden-

Center photo on page 68 of Bill Caloroso's book. I can scan it onto webshots and post a link to it here if youd like.

Its a great shot.

Greg

by GOLDEN-ARM

Thanks Greg, I don't believe I have that book. What's the title? A scan would be perfect, as I am ready to paint this one, now. Regards, <LV>

by scottychaos

Lehighrrgreg wrote:Golden-

Center photo on page 68 of Bill Caloroso's book. I can scan it onto webshots and post a link to it here if youd like.

Its a great shot.

Greg
Greg,
thats the later Cornell Red 3 black stripe scheme..
not the scheme G.A. is looking for. :(

(its the "Trackside around Sayre, Towanda, Waverly." book)

I never heard of 105 being painted in any special scheme!
was it a scheme specific to 105 only?
how did it differ from the "standard" pre-war scheme?

Scot

by GOLDEN-ARM

Yeah, guys, it's not the old, boring Cornell and whiskers, nor is it the provacative Pre-War scheme, so tastefully done on those locos, delivered in that era. Carl Stecklers definitive "bible" on LV color schemes lists 52 different paint schemes, applied to LV diesels, along with 4 more added, after the text was written. (I just submitted number 57, with a variation on the PA's, which, contrary to popular belief, did not survive without repainting. Page 65 on Carls book, shows the 105 in service, with a red or black hood, except for a large arc, that originates from about 18" behind the nose, and rises vertically, while arcing back towards the cab, running about 8 inches down from the top of the hood, all the way back to the cab. There are three stripes, ala the pre-war scheme, except the top and bottom ones go all the way to the cab, while there is a break in the center stripe to allow a very modified gothic LEHIGH VALLEY in the center of the hood, and the center stripe continues along again, from the air intake back to the cab. A large black diamond on the nose, with yellow LV in the center, aligned on center, with the center stripe. Yellow number on cab, along with what looks like a yellow diamond, with a red LV in it. Guessing on the colors, though, as it's a B&W shot Quite possibly the most stunning LV diesel paint scheme, I have ever seen. BTW, the Steckler book is a "MUST HAVE" if you want to know every scheme ever applied to a diesel, and which ones, and when. Another "oddity" from the book, on the following page, the Cornell red and 3 black stripe on LV 251, except the center stripe is YELLOW, instead of black! Has the flag in the black diamond, gold lettering and numbers, etc. Really cool!!! No scanner where I'm at, or I would scan my pic, to show you guys. Thanks for the attempt, and CALL CARL, THE BOOK IS WORTH IT!!! :-D
Last edited by GOLDEN-ARM on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Lehighrrgreg

I'll go look through the Sayre Historical Society's photo archives for something. Maybe we have something that might be what you are looking for.

Greg

by GOLDEN-ARM

Moto Gracci !

by GOLDEN-ARM

A quick update, courtesy of Richard Jahn, LV photographer extraordinaire. Rich told me this unit was painted specifically to match the color scheme of the John Wilkes, and the Black Diamond, streamlined locomotives. Red, black and brushed aluminum are the colors, he says I am seeing, in the B&W pic, from Stecklers excellent book. He is unaware of any color picture of this one-off paint scheme, so if anyone can find one, please be kind, and share! This loco was based at Buffalo Terminal, and was responsible for building the trains, of that era. I can estimate the colors now, using the LV streamlined locos, as a color guide, but would still enjoy seeing the "real-deal", for my own satisfaction. Thanks to anyone who's putting forth the effort......... :-D

by scottychaos

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:A quick update, courtesy of Richard Jahn, LV photographer extraordinaire. Rich told me this unit was painted specifically to match the color scheme of the John Wilkes, and the Black Diamond, streamlined locomotives. Red, black and brushed aluminum are the colors, he says I am seeing, in the B&W pic, from Stecklers excellent book. He is unaware of any color picture of this one-off paint scheme, so if anyone can find one, please be kind, and share! This loco was based at Buffalo Terminal, and was responsible for building the trains, of that era. I can estimate the colors now, using the LV streamlined locos, as a color guide, but would still enjoy seeing the "real-deal", for my own satisfaction. Thanks to anyone who's putting forth the effort......... :-D
G.A.,
can you scan and share the pic you have?
or..anyone know if the B&W pic in question is in any of the LV books?
I would love to take a stab at "colorizing" it!
sounds like a very cool scheme! :P

Scot

by GOLDEN-ARM

Sorry, I am away from a scanner. I wonder if anyone out there, has the Steckler book, that can scan the pic. (with credits to Carl, and the ARHS, of course) It's a MUST-HAVE, and I can't say it enough. The book is a real necessity, for the Valley modeler. The original 616 negative, that the picture was made from, is possibly the only picture in existence, of this rare unit. The ARHS informs me they have never seen another shot, of this paint scheme. I will ask Rich if he can scan the negative, for use in a colorizing project. Regards <LV> :-D

by GOLDEN-ARM

Have asked Rich, and am awaiting his reply. Offered him use of the colorized copy, on the ARHS and LVRR Modelers pages, if they will agree to use of the print. The Steckler book, although very informative, and excellent, uses a printing process that leaves a lot to be desired, in clarity and detail of the pictures. (from pic, to scanner, then to printing, the scans are somewhat "dirty", and probably not the starting place, for a colorizing attempt, due to loss of clarity, of some details, in the printing process) Perhaps "CarFloater" is about, and can come to the rescue, with a scan, in the meantime......... :wink:
  by CAR_FLOATER

Hi Guys!

Sorry I haven't jumped in on this, I have been real busy, but I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you!
This is all news to me, I have never heard about 105's unique paint job, but I am intregued by it!
I hope we can all see ths unit "repainted" soon, and since I don't have Steckler's book, I am at a loss as to how #105 "looks".
I have been busy figuring out LV tugboat paint diagrams as of late myself.
I'll ask some of my formerly LV-employed friends if they know anything about the engine.

CF

by GOLDEN-ARM

Hey, CF, if you don't have the Steckler book yet, it's a "must-have" for your collection. Every paint scheme (except for one) is shown, with units painted like that, when and for how long. The book is worth the thirty five bucks he charges, with free shipping. for those interested, here is Carl's email address, for ordering the book from him:
[email protected]

The book ships immediately, and he includes any updates, as they are located. The books are printed, as ordered, so you will always get the most recent known finds, for Valley paint schemes. Regards :-D