• CP Croxton Question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by OCtrainguy

A NJT cop arrested your jitney driver?? Oh that is unbelievable!! That's just too much. Sounds like maybe the NJT cops assigned to that area need something else to occupy them.

by Lackawanna484

nolifeCRchaser wrote: they arrested our jitney driver one night when he was trying to pick up a crew. I would have loved to put in that claim. "Waited 2 hours for ride due to jitney being arrested by NJ Transit." The best is when they drive into our yard and ask who were are and what we are doing.

"Croxton, can you have NS police come to the new yard for a tresspasser?"
----------------------

Non-railroaders and railfans are often very dense about whose tracks run where. I was at a fire on the east side of the River Line in Bogota, and the fire dispatcher directed NYSW to shut down service, even though their track was a 1/2 mile away.

Cooperstown DS called their local guy, who scoped and reported clear. DS squared away the fire guy. I'm sure his call sheet had an NYSW phone # and a (then) CR # and he called both. maybe the gas main and fiber optic people, too. Protecting his firefighters, but he should have a map with streets and the railroad?

That said, the jitney driver might have a decent case against NJT if he or she decides to sue. NJT has enough of its own property to protect, it doesn't need to interfere with CSX and NS people doing their jobs.

by nolifeCRchaser

Here is a not so good right of way shot looking towards Utica Street. The guardrail on the right is where you can go to watch the trains.

by CR80MAC

I would like to railfan Utica Street one of these days. Is it in a good neighborhood where you don't have to worry about taking your life in your hands?

by rbenko

I wouldn't go there alone for any long stretch - it's a pretty isolated spot, being a good city block or two from 1&9. There's all kinds of trash and debris laying around - seems like a popular spot for teenagers to drink (or whatever). :wink:

by nolifeCRchaser

CR80MAC wrote:I would like to railfan Utica Street one of these days. Is it in a good neighborhood where you don't have to worry about taking your life in your hands?
Aside from the authorities, you should not have a problem there in the mornings. As it gets closer to the afternoon and evening the locals come out and that is when you may run into problems. Also, for photography purposes, the light is better there during the morning hours. I have not seen much rail activity on monday and tuesday mornings, then again freight railroads do not run on schedules.
  by OCtrainguy

If a NJT police officer has been patrolling there, I don't know if they would even let you stay there. Even though you are not on NJT property, or on railroad property (obviously staying behind the gaurdrail), they may insist that you leave. That's what happened the last time I was there, back in November. The CSX police told myself, my son and my friend that we had to leave that area.