• BRI, Somerset Terminal & Northern Central

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by The Rising

Hello all,

Hello Trainlawyer,

Well, I guess I should stir the pot as well :wink: . Here is what I know, which unfortunately, isn't much :( .

I saw Trainlawyer's post yesterday and decided to send off an email and placed a phone call to Somerset seeking comments from them. As of this posting, I have heard nothing back from Trainlawyer's favorite nemisis.

If I hadn't mentioned this before, the principals at CNJ Rail usually maintain an information blackout when they have something significant going on. They are usually pretty forthcoming with information when I ask, but something must be up that they don't want leaked out yet.

I'm as curious as Trainlawyer is with regards to what they have in mind. I'm surprised they are getting involved in this Maryland matter. That filing perplexes me because it is far out of the area of interest CNJ/Somerset had previously expressed an interest in pursuing. Most of their efforts have been focused on a few projects in NJ, NY and PA. Maryland is well out of the area they had previously been looking for opportunities in.

When I think about what they might be up to, the only thing that comes to mind is that their efforts in Maryland are expected to have an impact somewhere else. (I'm speculating here, so don't consider these statements to be fact.) In other words, CNJ Rail might be engaging in the battle in Maryland with absolutely no intention of winning the war down there, but rather, using that effort to set the stage for a fight somewhere else. If that's the case, it would be consistent with what I have been told and come to expect from them.

As to Trainlawyers questions about their efforts in NJ, I've been previously told (in late Nov 2005) to watch for a series of STB filings from BRI in the first quarter of 2006 and to expect the new track construction heading towrd the RVL to start immediately.

I was clearly told it would be a series of filings, not just one. So far, it has only been just one (The petition for clarification). I know they are watching what's going on. I know for a fact that CNJ Rail and BRI folks talk on a regular basis. When I was invited down for a tour of the facility, I was introduced to the new head of BRI, a gentleman by the name of Bill Gay, by Mr. Strohmeyer. Mr. Gay gave Mr. Strohmeyer permission to show me all around the property, from end to end. There was no doubt in my mind, given the conversations they had in front of me, that CNJ Rail and BRI are together actively working on the events which are unfolding before the STB today.

Its my knowledge of CNJ Rail's deep involvement at BRI that perplexes me about the Maryland filing. CNJ Rail could find themselves fighting the NS on two fronts simultaneously (in NJ and MD). I'm not sure that they could pull off two successful efforts at once. I'm surprised, given how much time and effort CNJ/Somerset have in at BRI that they would be doing something like this at this time. Why fight two battles when you will need everything you have for one?

Well, that's all for now folks.

I'll speculate more later, and hopefully, I may get a return call so I can pass along what I know.

See ya all later......

P.S. To Trainlawyer and Joe Railroad(?):

BTW, I had previously been given a heads up that a CNJ Rail filing in the BRI matter was headed to the Board before you posted your original comments in the BRI thread. It came third hand from a gentleman I'm told you know of. He occasionally posts here at Railroad.net (Joe Railroad??, I believe). When I didn't see it in a day or two like I had been told it was going to be, I dismissed it as idle CNJ Rail babble.

When it appeared on the website within a day of our discussion. I was really surprised. I've since been told that when you use the US Post Office to mail something to Washington DC nowadays, your mail takes a sidetrip to Ohio to go throught the "cooker" :wink: before it can be delivered!! The explanation seemed plausible to me since it would account for the large discrepanicies in the date on the document and the actual day it was date stamped by the board. I guess it took over a week to get there!

I guess we need to add to the Post Office slogan," Through rain, snow, irradiation cookers and stormy nights, nothing will keep us from our appointed rounds....... :-D ."

To Joe Railroad, I appologize for blowing off your comment as idle rumor. I meant no offense by it. As you know, I try to remain fair balanced, and objective. I have no intention of taking sides in the Somerset/Standard dispute. Your information concerning the second CNJ Rail filing was spot on. Thank you for the information.

by JoeRailRoad

The Rising wrote:Hello all,.........................................

To Joe Railroad, I appologize for blowing off your comment as idle rumor. I meant no offense by it. As you know, I try to remain fair balanced, and objective. I have no intention of taking sides in the Somerset/Standard dispute. Your information concerning the second CNJ Rail filing was spot on. Thank you for the information.
No problem. :wink:

Joe

by RichM

And there's nothing new in Boonton. As noted on a previous thread, some cleanup was performed, removing some weeds and brush, so the cars are more visible, beyond that, no apparent changes.

Rich

by The Rising

Hello all,

I just wanted to drop a quick note to Trainlawyer here.

Did you note that the STB shot down the NS petition to abandon the Cockeysville line? I was amused because Rumorpace stated as fact the NS had permission to do so from the STB. The Board turned down the request on what seammed to me to be very trivial matters. What I found most interesting was the last couple of paragraphs in the decision.

I have some thoughts about this. I believe I might have figured out what CNJ might have been doing. I'll let Trainlawyer read the decision and comment on it, if he so chooses. :wink: I'll post my thoughts afterwards.

Well that's all for now folks.

See ya all later.

P.S. Trainlawyer, did you note that Jim Riffin's arguements were getting consistantly better as he went along?

My reading of all his previous filings indicate he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in terms of getting his arguements correct. I did note however, it appeared he was getting alot of help in his latter filings. I wonder, did CNJ Rail feed him the blueprint for knocking out the NS' application?