• Conway extentions?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by thrdkilr

I was wondering if you guys could help me out, I'm not a regular to this forum, but I'm a big fan of the Conway Scenic RR. The last time I was there was the summer of 99, a while back I came accross some photos on the Net that seemed to indicate that the line had been expanded towards Maine, was it an optical illusion? How about the other end? In 99 you could only go as far as Crawford's Knotch, how about now? Lastly, where does the line meet up with a regular RR line? Whitefield? St. Johnsbury? Thanks in advance for your assistance.....

by shadyjay

As far as I know, the Crawford Notch excursions run a few miles further west to Fabyans during the fall. Track from there to Whitefield can be used by the railroad, but generally isn't, unless outside interchange is needed. Track in the Whitefield area is not regularly operated, if at all these days. There are rumblings of the state of VT trying to buy the Whitefield NH-St J line. I"m sure if CWSR had to interchange, then they'd bring whatever they needed to up to Whitefield, and the New Hampshire Central would forward it to the StL&A interchange in Groveton.

East of Intervale, track has been restored over what's been referred to as the Redstone Line (or something to that effect), which had been relocated as part of the loop road around North Conway. I believe this extends to almost the NH/ME state line. From there east, the tracks are owned by MeDOT.

As far as operations east of Intervale/west of Fabyans, there are some excursions held throughout the year which may travel this "rare mileage". I'm pretty sure the Railfan Weekend offers some of this opportunity.

You can do a search on photos.nerail.org for some of these pics, espec on the line east of Intervale.

-JH

by thrdkilr

Thanks JH, greatly appreciated.....Is there anyword on the tracks headed east out of Intervale, why did they rehab them? What is the closest tracks with regular service? Is Conway Scenic in danger of becoming isolated?

by b&m 1566

The track east of Intervale was relocated for a highway by-pass. However for the most part the track is still where it has always been; just moved over to the east about 20 to 25 feet. A about a mile of track was relocated in this fashion. I have heard rumors about the CSRR operating a shuttle train to and from Fryburg during the month of October and on special occasions through out the year but if this were to happen, it won't be for sometime to come. The closest operating track to CSRR I would think it's NHN out of Ossipee, but in between there's 10.83 miles of track that hasn't seen a train since 1972. The only connection the CSRR has to the outside world (CURRENTLY) is at Hazen. That switch was just rehabed in 1997, so I don't think they'll be left stranded anytime soon.

by thrdkilr

Many thanks B&M, greatly appreciated.....

by Otto Vondrak

I've been hoping for the extension to Fryeburg, ME for years... only because the tracks run right past my friend's summer cabin up on Lake Lovewell!

-otto-