• Saving The Danvers, Mass. Depot Meeting

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by eriemike

It is on! Snow or no snow. Besides, it doesn't snow inside :wink:

by bigbronco85

Once again I didn't make it! HAHA

Some fool left a map light on in my truck and this morning the batt. was dead!!!

by eriemike

Had a great time looking around inside the Danvers Depot. The building is suprisingly solid. We looked around all three floors (main floor, the second floor and the basement). The second floor was the most interesting as we found some railroad paper that dated to the 1890's of train orders, etc. This has sat hidden in that depot before it was moved from its original location on Essex Street to its current location in 1923. We also found some old Schaffer beer cans that date well before pull tabs, a number of pigeon skeletons. On the main floor a "Kilroy was here" written into the women's bathroom wall and dated 1961. You can see the outlines of where the the original water closets where located on the bathroom walls. You can also see the outlines in the floor as to where the ticket office and storage room were (located in the middle of the building). The basement is covered with coal for the old coal furnace. Most likely they could have come from the tender of some 4-4-0 or Mogul.

Once this depot is moved back to near its original location on Essex St., this is going to be a very neat and once in a lifetime chance to restore a piece of New England railroad history.
  by NERailfan

Hey Guys & gals...

I too was impressed with how solid the station is. It sounds like everyone enthusiastic (as am I) about it being moved & preserved. Pretty nice to put some faces to the names that are in this forum. Was impressed with what is at Walker!

by bigbronco85

Hopefully I can get a chance to come take a look as well sometime soon.

by eriemike

There is an article in today's Salem News on one of the volunteers involved with the Danvers Depot. He is also the youngest. The link is here at:

http://www.salemnews.com

The article title is "One-track mind: Teen train buff makes an impression
  by NERailfan

That was a really interesting article! Thanks for sharing!

by Steam

The next Danvers Depot meeting for interested persons will be on Thursday, March 16th at the Danvers Art Association building on Route 62 East, just off Rte. 128, at 7 PM. It's at the second traffic light off Rte. 128, eastbound on 62. About a half mile from the exit from 128.

by Steam

MEETING LOCATION CHANGE: I've just been advised that the next meeting will still be on Thursday, March 16th, but the location has been changed to the Wenham Museum, Rte. 1-A, Wenham, Mass. Same time, 7pm. Parking next to the museum which is located opposite the Civil War Monument. Hope to see you all there.