• Central New York Railroad - update?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by bwparker1

Is there anything new or interesting happening on the portion of the Southern Tier the NYSW is now operating East of Binghamton to Port Jervis?? I think that is the area that they leased from NS. Has the signal system been downgraded? Are there any new customers or possible customers that NYSW or CNYRR could add? Thanks for any information.

Cheers,
Brooks
  by henry6

In what way do you mean new or interesting...things plod along just as they always have since NS exept that double iron is being lifted over Gulf Summit. NYS&W still runs at least one round trip a day, maybe less if one of the trains outlaws or otherwise dies someplace along the way. Nothing new or different.

by bwparker1

henry6,

ths is what I was looking for.

Thanks

by cjvrr

The signal system is not being downgraded. After a number of "dark territory" accident in 2005, the CNY decided it would be best to remove their application for the removal of the signal system.

Some track modifications have been made including the removal of the double track from service over Starucca viaduct. The second track may be removed too, but I haven't been there to confirm.

The customer Norboard in Deposit has started using rail again (NS had chased them away) and Narrowsburg Lumber has gotten some cars. The grain place in Cohecton is also receiving cars. The latest Railpace stated that a new steel fabricating customer may be locating along the Stourbridge RR. That would mean additional cars run by the CNY to Lackawaxen for pickup by the Stourbridge. The Stourbridge currently has NO regular customers.

Chris

by bwparker1

Chris:

Thanks for the update. I think the Stourbridge connection with the old Erie is severed due to the flooding of 2004 I think. Regardless, there would have to be some serious work done to get the line open again, I think that the current excursion service is orphaned from the connection. There were some photos in railpace a couple months back of a bridge that had been basically washed out. Good to hear about a few additional customers for the CNY though.

Brooks

by charlie6017

Since the CNY/NYSW is keeping the signals, anyone know if they will upgrade the signal system? I know in the past there were numerous signal problems......

by L&HR C&S

The signal system is being upgraded. With the romoval of the 2nd track between Deposit and Lansboro, the pole line was eliminated using Electracode EC-5, which sends the signal info thru the rails.
Cp Lansboro was reinstalled, as the switch was removed by Conrail.
Cp Gulf Summit was removed and a new interlocking at Deposit, named CP Sanford , was installed.
Within a year or two 90% of the pole line should be eliminated, replaced with the Electricode.
Till then its fixin the pole line one broken insulator pin after another.