• 3:30 AM train near Durham/Newmarket?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by spinfire

Lately around 3:30 AM I've been hearing a very loud, very slow train on the Guilford mainline in Newmarket. The train was just crawling and roaring and it sounded like several locomotives. I think it was significantly longer/heavier than the trains I see during the day. Also, the horn sounded like an unusual tone.

Any ideas what trains these are?

by NRGeep

Possibly the NHN gravel train?

by b&m 1566

I thought the NHN ran during the day?

by Dick H

NHN does run during the day between Dover and Ossipee. Gulford does the Dover to Boston run at night as DOBO/BODO, usually Monday through Thursday nights, sometimes on Friday. DOBO usually leaves Dover around 8PM, after Amtrak Downeaster #685 clears. BODO returns early in the morning.

Dick H

by GP40MC 1116

I caught the NHN Train in Lawrence about a week or so back, i thought it was MBCR but soon enough as it crossed Andover St near the yeard i figured it wasn't MBCR