• GE loco rebuilt with an EMD engine, or vice versa?

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

by MEC407

I've often heard of ALCO locomotives having their original prime mover replaced with an EMD.

I was wondering if there have ever been any instances of a GE locomotive that had its PM replaced with an EMD, or an EMD loco that had its PM replaced with a GE, etc.

by EDM5970

Off the top of my head, I'm aware of a handful of U-25Bs that M-K put 567s in, on behalf of one of the lumber companies in the Northwest. The engines came out of B&O F-7s, if I remember correctly.

I don't know of any GE prime movers going into an EMD, but the Rock Island put de-turboed 244s into some early Winton powered EMD/EMC switchers.

by Bryanjones

As mentioned there was a group of 6-8 U25B's repowered with the guts from B&O F7's by Morrison Knudsen. This was the only instance of GE's being repowered by EMD.
One of the Mexican railways went a step further and repowered several GE U36C/U36CG's with Alco 251 prime movers.
Morrison Knudsen did repower 4 U25B's for the SP with Sulzer prime movers as well as 10 SD45's for the UP and ATSF. There have also been several Caterpillar conversions but these were with EMD units.

Bryan

by EDM5970

Bryan, I'm curious about the Mexican GEs getting 251s. Do you have any more information on them, like dates, road numbers, etc.?