• MBTA Budd RDC's and Pullman coaches

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by railfan101

Does anyone know when the T retired the old bud cars and were they just being used on the north side at that time. Also were all of the Pullman cars of the late 70's converted to what is now known as the 200 series cars?

by jwhite07

The last of the "Boise Budds" ran in MBTA service in 1989; they were sold several years later and ended up on VRE and Metro-North.

Three of the original Pullmans (303, 315, and 1301) were not rebuilt into 200-series coaches; these cars were scrapped.

by railfan101

jwhite07 wrote:The last of the "Boise Budds" ran in MBTA service in 1989; they were sold several years later and ended up on VRE and Metro-North.

Three of the original Pullmans (303, 315, and 1301) were not rebuilt into 200-series coaches; these cars were scrapped.

and when were all of the pullman coaches taken out of service before the rebuild?

by Robert Paniagua

The last revenue run I believe for the Pullman coaches prior to rehab was 1994/95.

by railfan101

Robert Paniagua wrote:The last revenue run I believe for the Pullman coaches prior to rehab was 1994/95.

Thanks, I don't remember seing them much after the mbb's and bombardiers were brought into service. Were they in desperate need for the rehab at that time?

by jwhite07

Before their rebuild, many of these cars were actually surplus and were stored at Yard 21 in Somerville, which is the small (now mostly abandoned, except for Spaulding Brick) yard next to the Orange Line between Sullivan Square and Wellington, just before the Edward Dana bridge over the Mystic River.

I don't know whether the cars were in especial need of rehab before they were stored, but after a few years sitting at Yard 21, they sure did! :-)

by railfan101

jwhite07 wrote:Before their rebuild, many of these cars were actually surplus and were stored at Yard 21 in Somerville, which is the small (now mostly abandoned, except for Spaulding Brick) yard next to the Orange Line between Sullivan Square and Wellington, just before the Edward Dana bridge over the Mystic River.

I don't know whether the cars were in especial need of rehab before they were stored, but after a few years sitting at Yard 21, they sure did! :-)

I find that interesting that the T had a surplus of coaches. I was under the impression that there were equipment shortages.

I also assume that the RDc's were retired due to their age and that they were starting to fall apart. All rdc's were in north side service for their last few years right?

by Robert Paniagua

The RDC's were indeed let go citing their age, so they were replaced with the MBB/Bombardier combo of 1986-90 era cars. Last revenue run was 1990 as well, and I think they all ran up north during their last years. The Southside had all new cars, the oldest being the Pullmans of 1980 while the 1986-90 MBB/BOM were the newest cars down south (with some going north).

by Xplorer2000

Some of the Boise Budds ended up on the west coast,for CalTrain, IIRC.