• Cab Car Operations...

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by doepack

Tonight (12/1) on ABC's Primetime live, there will be a feature discussing push/pull cab car passenger operations. From what I hear, Metrolink (CA) personnel will be interviewed, among others. Starts at 10pm ET, 9pm CT, and as always, check your local listings. Be there. Aloha.

by CSX Conductor

Although it is probably safe to say that many employees might argue that control cars are not as safe or durable in a grade crossing collision I'm sure that the railroads will not want to purchase more locomotives to replace push-pull operations utilizing control cars.

Here's a couple reasons why:

1) Less operating costs due to fuel.

2) Control cars are not required to be inspected every 90 days as locomotives are.

by Skip-Stop

For those who missed the article, an online version can be foundon the ABC News website.

by DutchRailnut

Control cars require 92 day inspections just like locomotives and if Cab signal equipped every 45 days, A control cab is for all purposes a locomotive as per blure cars, it falls under 100% same rules as locomotive.

by VRELackie

according to the FRA a "locomotive" is any car that can control the operation of a train. Yes this is a little bit vague ... but that means that anything with a control stand falls under the inspection and certification regulation of the big heavy car with the motors in it.

by Ken W2KB

DutchRailnut wrote:Control cars require 92 day inspections just like locomotives and if Cab signal equipped every 45 days, A control cab is for all purposes a locomotive as per blure cars, it falls under 100% same rules as locomotive.
I wonder if a cab car can be temporily designated as non-cab car use? NJ Transit lately has a number of consists with cab cars in the middle being used as regular coaches.

by JLJ061

Ken W2KB wrote:I wonder if a cab car can be temporily designated as non-cab car use? NJ Transit lately has a number of consists with cab cars in the middle being used as regular coaches.
I don't see why not. I have seen Metra do the same thing with their cab cars.

by thebigc

DutchRailnut wrote:Control cars require 92 day inspections just like locomotives and if Cab signal equipped every 45 days, A control cab is for all purposes a locomotive as per blure cars, it falls under 100% same rules as locomotive.
On NJ Transit, the CSS apparatus on our cab cars is inspected every 92 days. Used to be 60 days up until sometime early 2005.