• NYC Passenger Cars in other RR Colors

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by clehman

I just purchased the book ‘Speedway to Sunshine’ about the Florida East Coast Ry. In looking at the photos prior to reading the book, I noticed a picture on page 210 showing two passenger cars coupled together. They are both in the Illinois Central brown and orange paint scheme, one has a small ‘NYC’ in the upper corner, the other a small “C&NW’ in the upper corner. There isn’t enough of the NYC car showing to reveal a name or number! The author says these Pullman cars were regulars in the ‘City of Miami,’ which ran from Chicago to Miami. I didn’t know NYC had passenger cars painted in other railroads colors! I have three books on NYC passenger trains and cars (‘Great Steel Fleet’ and it’s revised edition, plus ‘Lightweight Passenger Cars’), and there is nothing I can find that indicates NYC had passenger cars assigned to specific trains and in other railroad colors. Does anyone know of other NYC cars in other railroad colors? I’ve always been interested in passenger trains of the ‘40s & ‘50s, and any information regarding this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  by eddiebear

In the late 1950s the IC emerged as the dominant Midwest to Florida carrier. The Dixie Route anchored by CEI in Chicago was a minor player, Big Four was just about out and the PRR South Wind route was stagnant. The IC's top train, City of Miami was on an every other day schedule and IC needed cars. A stickler for uniform image, IC leased other roads' cars that suited its needs, repainted them in IC colors and repainted them back to other roads' colors at end of lease term. The leases were for winter season, Dec-Mar, usually. Any NYC lease was probably only for a season or two because IC bought a large number of surplus NYC cars starting in the late 1950s.
One lease that was renewed for a number of years was for Northern Pacific North Coast Limited domes to be operated on City of Miami in winter season.

by Dieter

On the subject of colors, how many of you have seen published pictures of rolling stock in colors you know never existed?

The issue here is the use of old faded photographs. We've all seen it. Any effort to correct this problem before publication is greatly appreceated by modelers too young to remember what they're looking at.

As far as ID lettering on Pullman cars, no you aren't losing your mind. They could end up just about anywhere.

Dieter.