• Odd schedule: pass, then be passed

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by timz

The 5:18 out of NY Penn to Dover stops at Sec Tfr-- due out of there at 5:28. The 5:20 out of NY Penn to Gladstone does not stop at Secaucus, and I guess it's supposed to pass the Dover train there. But the Dover train's next stop is Millburn, while the Gladstone train makes five stops from Newark to Maplewood. So the Dover train passes the Gladstone west of Newark.

As I recall, a few years ago no train was scheduled to pass another on the DL&W triple track, but now they're doing stunts like this. Wonder how well it works out?

by arrow

I've been on a lot of trains on that line that get passed by others. There are some express trains out of Hoboken with locals that leave 5 minutes before them...the express passes those sometime between Orange and Highland Avenue usually.

Actually I took a Gladstone train this morning that is express after Summit to Newark. We passed a local train (as usual) near Highland Avenue.

by nick11a

^Yeah arrow, I love those trains that are express beyond Summit.

I've been on the 5:20 many times. Sometimes these two trains run together-side by side in the stretch of tracks around Orange. As I recall, in the begining of the year, the Gladstone was on Track 1 and the Dover on 2.

by Mark Schweber

I am on the 5:18 almost every work day. The current scheduling works well.

Actually for a short while last year there was a schedule where the Gladstone train left before the Dover train. That schedule often was a problem (bottleneck either just before Newark or just before Millburn) and thankfully they reverted to the Dover leaving before the Gladstone.