• Hickory Creek Photo Opp. - NYP, Albany, Boston 69(16)448(16)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by tunelowplayhard

The Hickory Creek will make a cold weather (if it's anything like this morning) run to Boston, via Albany on Friday, Dec. 16th. The car will operate on the rear of the following trains: 69(16) 448(16) 449(18) 288(18). This is a two fold trip being run to test the logistics of the Albany switching and to test the car's ability to sustain cold weather running. With any luck there will be a little snow to create the perfect photo swirl behind the train. For more information, contact [email protected].

by Terrapin Station

Hmmm, train 69 is the one I see crossing the Inwood Movable Bridge sometimes right before, but almost always right after my Metro-North train comes.

Anyhow, thanks for the heads up.

by onder

Got to see the car in
Albany . Car attendants
told me they would be 5
hrs late going east.

Looked nice, I must say!
  by Agent at Clicquot

onder wrote:Car attendants
told me they would be 5
hrs late going east.
I think they were either optimistic or charitable. :-) I tried the website then Julie to get an update on 448 (it's 1620 EST as I type this) with no luck. Searching for 48, I figured out why: the train's seven hours down and is last reported between Rochester and Syracuse. 448(16) hasn't been born yet.

If the train keeps this schedule, 448 won't reach the bumper at South Station 'til 0120 tomorrow!

Update from amtrak.com: as of 1607, the train was 6:56 late. Due ALB 1916.

onder wrote:Looked nice, I must say!
Yeah? Were you given a tour, or just a peek through the windows? There's something magical about a brightly lit PV on a cold, chilly evening.

* JB *
  by pgengler

Agent at Clicquot wrote:There's something magical about a brightly lit PV on a cold, chilly evening.
You can say that again. I saw the Hickory Creek when it was in Hoboken for a few days (last weekend) and first saw it on Friday night. Definitely a nice sight.

by LIRailfan79

did anyone get any pics?

by onder

Just outside and time to grab a few snaps.
The nobs were busy shooting cuffs so I didn't
think I should ask to enter.

We forget how long two tone gray has been
gone and just how good it looks.

by pgengler

Pictures at Hoboken

I would have loved to get some photos of it in transit.
Last edited by pgengler on Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Otto Vondrak

How/when did the car return? Where is the car currently based?

by Dick H

A poster on another list reported that the Hickory Creek was in Boston South Station yesterday. He noted that the outside is beginning to show some wear and tear since the restoration.

Today (Sunday 12/18), it is on 449, which is expected on time into Albany. Unknown, where it is headed from there.

Dick