• Mystery Steam Locomotive Photo pre1900

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Ale Rider

I have a very old sepia print of a steam locomotive that is pretty faded. I am trying to identify the railroad it is from. Nothing matches it in the rosters found in the New Haven power book. Here is what I can tell from the print.

It is a 2-6-0

It's number is probably 953, but could be 963 or 853/63. The number is on a circular plate centered on the smokebox.

It has link and pin couplers.

It has a 4 axle tender.

It is pulling a 4 axle caboose, all wood with a fairly low profile cupola.

It has a big square head lamp mounted above the smokebox and a tall straight stack.

My guess is that this loco is from a pre1900 Northeastern road. Any thoughts from the experts?

Thanks in advance, and Merry Christmas...

Ed Johnson