• NYSW train symbols

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by ANDY117

What do the SU, BH, SY, and UT stand for in a train? Like, a SU-100, or a BH-3, or a SY-X. Does anyone understand any of this mumbo jumbo?
  by washingtonsecondary

ANDY117 wrote:What do the SU, BH, SY, and UT stand for in a train? Like, a SU-100, or a BH-3, or a SY-X. Does anyone understand any of this mumbo jumbo?
SY= Syracuse Branch Local
BH= Binghamton Local
UT= Utica Branch Local

X is an extra, usually the locals go SY-1, 2, 3, 4 some go up to 4 or 5 and anything past that is an extra.

Don't know what SU stands for.
  by n01jd1

washingtonsecondary wrote:
ANDY117 wrote:What do the SU, BH, SY, and UT stand for in a train? Like, a SU-100, or a BH-3, or a SY-X. Does anyone understand any of this mumbo jumbo?
SY= Syracuse Branch Local
BH= Binghamton Local
UT= Utica Branch Local

X is an extra, usually the locals go SY-1, 2, 3, 4 some go up to 4 or 5 and anything past that is an extra.

Don't know what SU stands for.
I dont know what the SU stands for either but thats what they use for road trains. NYSW uses WS for its southern division locals.

by RSD15

i believe the SU in SU99/100 is simply Susquehanna 99/100 abbreviated.
charles

by cjvrr

The "SU" designation did come from the Susquehanna trains that ran on trackage rights over Conrail. It was a Conrail designation that has stuck around for over 20 years now.

by Lackawanna484

cjvrr wrote:The "SU" designation did come from the Susquehanna trains that ran on trackage rights over Conrail. It was a Conrail designation that has stuck around for over 20 years now.
The designation outlasted Conrail, in fact.

WS is the prefix for trains originating in Little Ferry, and, I think, in Butler.

Usuals are WS-1 through 4, and WSPX for passenger extra trains. The dispatchers will call a movement by its symbol, or rarely by its engine number (4004, call me on the radio). They use both when they write a train order.

Was WS the telegraph station for the old Little Ferry engine terminal? it sounds like it should be West Shore

by ANDY117

How often do the 99 1nd 100 run? Every 2 days?
  by roc

Is the grain/feed mill in Chohecton serviced by a local or by one of the SU road freights?
  by waldwickrailfan

roc wrote:Is the grain/feed mill in Chohecton serviced by a local or by one of the SU road freights?
The SU100 works Cochecton and Narrowsburg on the Tier