• Back from Boston - 10/24

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by 7 to Main St

I stood a day longer in Boston and railfanned earlier today.

Took the Red Line one stop from South Station to Downtown Crossing.
Took the Orange Line one stop from D.C. to State.
Took the Blue Line from State to Wonderland.

At first I was taking photos using no flash. But then set my camera to auto. so it'll flash when needed.

Alittle mad though on some blurred photos. :(

Got 22 tokens from S. S. and converted 9 to CharlieTickets at W. L. (Got 11 tokens left).

Are they still making newer tokens? These were MINT. Minus some marks, I was WHOA'ing at there gold sparkleness.

Had no problems converting 9 tokens to 9 Charlietickets. Noticed the 1.25 and 2.50 options as previous in my other topic.

Heck, I even took a flash photo of the new turnstyles, and PLENTY of Wonderland photos. Nobody said a peep to me. Though, the motorman later on the B. L. train noticed I took a photo and said I couldn't. But he was EXTREMELY lenient!

Noticed a CharlieTicket(possibly 2, but the 2nd was crumpled) on the floor in the train as well, looks like MBTA will be turning into the MTA with the fare cards. :/

The red line wasn't too too bad, but the orange line was extremely late.

Sorry if my report is not neat, I'm still tired from the drive and such. lol

Just some more questions:

What's up with the door chimes and doors on the trains? Hard to explain it, but it just seems weird.

Bah, forgot the rest...

Anyway's, anybody know of a good site besides Webshots to upload photos?

by AznSumtinSumtin

I hope you had a little fun here.

Yes they're still making new tokens. Only the Blue Line and part of the Silver Line accept Charlie Tickets.

Awww, why the T employees nice to you and mean to me? They yell at me even if I'm not on MBTA property taking pictures.

The door chimes don't seem weird to me. Same with the doors. Maybe its because I'm used to it. Kinda like when those New Flyer buses were running out of the Charlestown garage. My friends and I were amazed that it was low floor and the doors opened inwards. INWARD!

http://www.imageshack.us is a good place to upload pictures.

by Robert Paniagua

Heck, I even took a flash photo of the new turnstyles, and PLENTY of Wonderland photos. Nobody said a peep to me. Though, the motorman later on the B. L. train noticed I took a photo and said I couldn't. But he was EXTREMELY lenient!

Wow, they weren't upset with you? You wuz lucky then, glad nobody told you off. And I see you used flash, which is a no-no, but at least on the platforms not towards any train motorpersonnel.

Noticed a CharlieTicket(possibly 2, but the 2nd was crumpled) on the floor in the train as well, looks like MBTA will be turning into the MTA with the fare cards. :/

Ohhh, they are doing that here already? I hope they clean it up, I don't wanna see farecards thrown around like in NYC. However, WMATA does not show any of their farecards thrown on the track pits down in Washington.

The red line wasn't too too bad, but the orange line was extremely late.

Another delayed Orange Line? What happened there? Glad the Rwed Line was fine though...

Just some more questions:

What's up with the door chimes and doors on the trains? Hard to explain it, but it just seems weird.

They are used for safety reasons, and in use for 25 years, to let passengers know that the doors are closing. In WMATA, they even have a message saying "Doors Closing" and "Please stand Clear of Closing Doors, Thank you" along with Doors Opening without a chime.
  by CSX Conductor

7 to Main St wrote:Anyway's, anybody know of a good site besides Webshots to upload photos?
Nerail New England for photos in New England & there is also NERail North American for photos everywhere outside of the New England States. Unfortunately, many people don't comprehend the fact that NY photos don't belong in New England, but there are two different sites, and each has a link to the other at the top of the main page. :wink:

by 7 to Main St

Yes, I guess you could say I lucked out. lol

I had to start using flash since the photos were not coming out too great. Same with flash. I think I need a new camera.

Anyway's, as for the orange line. I assume it was delayed, because the platform at D.C. was packed and people were complaining. No speaker announcement.

Back to the door chimes and doors. I was not asking why there is a door chime. lol. I was talking about the sound of it. The doors seemed to close alittle hard, the red line doors seemed to jerk around before closing hard. Maybe it was just me.

So they are still making new tokens? That's a surprise. I mean, they want to deflate the amount to make way for the Charlie system...

Thanks for the site. Maybe I'll upload stuff later.

by Ron Newman

Flash in subway trains and stations is really not a good idea. It can startle the drivers and other T personnel, causing a safety hazard.

by 7 to Main St

Ron Newman wrote:Flash in subway trains and stations is really not a good idea. It can startle the drivers and other T personnel, causing a safety hazard.
I used the "auto" function. It's flash, but not enough to be seen.

by jumbotusk

You don't see any WMATA farecards in DC thrown on the tracks or platforms for a reason. Unlike NYC or Boston (with Charlie Tix), you actually NEED your DC farecard to exit the system. The exit gate swallows any ticket with no value left.

by Robert Paniagua

I read in Sunday's Globe Start and Stops that the Charlie Cards are rechargeable after all, and that people need not to throw them in tracks like thay have been doing before.

by 7 to Main St

Actually, you can't refill them. I remember reading up on it last time, they say you can, but the truth is... When you insert the card into the machine, it gives you a NEW card back.

Unless they changed that as of late?