• New Railfan

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by MDNFan

Question:

I'm a new Railfan. If I wanted to learn the basics about locos & operations on Metra, what would be a inexpensive starting point?

by natethegreat

Best way to learn about ops would be get out and ride the trains. Make friends with the crews, and talk to them, its cheap, but to be annoying, remember they have a job to do. Also, a good scanner would help while railfanning. The Metra Forum would be a good start.

by FourTwelveTwo

First, welcome to the hobby. Lots of great people to meet and enjoy your interests with. Millions of train freaks out there.

Regarding your question, I wouldn't be too surprised if Metra didn't have some sort of public relations piece which provided the very basics. You should try contacting them. Remember, post 9/11 things are going to be viewed with one degree of suspicion or another.

I'd also suggest some Google searches. "Metra locomotives", "Metra engines", "Metra power", "Metra diesels", "Metra operations", etc.

There are many guys out there who know from a little to ALL about these engines. Take some time and you'll learn a lot. Then you'll find out you're just BEGINNING to scratch the surface of this great hobby.

Have fun!

John