• Turntable pit at Johnsonville, NY?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by henry6

Not getting response on B&M/MC thread so will try here. This past Sunday happened upon Johnsonville, NY tower and while walking the dog opposite the tower found concrete foundation that looked like it was a turntable pit. Was there, in fact, a table there or just a big water tower. Also wasn't this at one time a three way junction of the Troy line and the M'cvle line and the origonal Greenwich and Johnsonville? So speaking of G&J what and where do they operate today?n

by slotcanyoneer

Since when was NY considered part of New England?
  by henry6

My bad. I was thinking in terms of "B&M" railroad and not geography. But question still stands.

by TomNelligan

That's OK; Johnsonville is close enough to the state line to be "honorary" New England.

The water tower at Johnsonville was a couple hundred feet north of the Fitchburg Division mainline near the station, not farther west near the tower. Also, the B&M never originated or terminated any trains there, so they would have had no reason to regularly turn steam engines. However, as you mention, the Greenwich & Johnsonville terminated there (until 1932) and the G&J *would* have had a need to turn engines. So maybe you were looking at the remains of a G&J turntable?

The G&J became the Batten Kill Railroad and still runs out of Greenwich with Alco RS3s. Probably someone on the New York forum could fill you in on their current (infrequent) operations.
  by henry6

Thanks, Tom. The pit is a concrete circle and is where I imagine the G&J came in.