• The Wild West

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by Amtrak31

Earlier today, an attempt was made to hijack a UP train. A hijacker with a bow and arrow approached the crew in the train attempting to hijack it. The crew jumped out and cut the fuel off. After they cut the fuel off, they called the police. The police then arrived. The hijacker pointed the bow and arrow at the police. The police then shot the hijacker. The hijacker was alive but his condition was not known at the time. What is this? The Wild West!?!?

Nick Hart

by AmtrakFan

Oh Geese don't tell me the terriorist will use this weapon now.

by Joe

Wow that's pretty funny. Good thinking on the crew's part - probably took the reverser too I would assume.

You don't say you got the story from a newspaper or website, so I assume you witnessed this, so you must know where it happened. Where did this happen?

by Amtrak31

Joe wrote:Did you witness this?
Nope.
Joe wrote:Where did it happen?
Out west. I believe, California.

Source: CNN News

Edit: Just so you know, Joe edited his post right after I made mine.

by AmtrakFan

Yes it was in California everyone.

by John_Perkowski

Too bad "America's Dumbest Criminals" isn't on anymore.

THIS QUALIFIES!!!!

John Perkowski

by AmtrakFan

John_Perkowski wrote:Too bad "America's Dumbest Criminals" isn't on anymore.

THIS QUALIFIES!!!!

John Perkowski
Mr. Perkowski,
Well Said this guy should also win a Darwin Award.

by Amtrak31

AmtrakFan wrote:
John_Perkowski wrote:Too bad "America's Dumbest Criminals" isn't on anymore.

THIS QUALIFIES!!!!

John Perkowski
Mr. Perkowski,
Well Said this guy should also win a Darwin Award.
:-D :-D Haha.
Coming onto a train with a bow and arrow is nuts.

by rhallanger

From Trains.com

Bow-and-arrow trainjacker suspect charged

RANCHO CUCAMONGA, Calif. - The man accused of using a bow and arrow in an attempt to steal a Union Pacific freight train Oct. 9 was charged on Wednesday with carjacking, assaulting police officers and grand theft, according to a story in the Ontario, Calif. Inland Valley Daily Bulletin. While carjacking may seem an unusual count for a man suspected of trying to commandeer two locomotives and 71 freight cars, prosecutors said it was their only option for charging 43-year-old Juventino Vallejo-Camerena.

Deputy District Attorney Robert Lemkau said there doesn't appear to be a state law on the books specific to the hijacking of a train. Carjacking, meanwhile, is defined as the taking of a "motor vehicle in the possession of another."

"A train is a motor vehicle," Lemkau said. "It's a train. It moves. It's a diesel."

Police say Vallejo-Camerena, of Pomona, boarded the locomotive in Montclair last Sunday night armed with a homemade bow and arrow. He told the engineer and conductor the train belonged to him and ordered them out, according to police reports. The rail workers hit a fuel shutoff switch as they fled and called police.

Officers arrived a few minutes later and shot Vallejo-Camerena in the wrist and arm when he cocked his bow and pointed his arrow at them, investigators said. Vallejo-Camerena was treated at a local hospital and then booked into county jail on suspicion of train robbery.

Lemkau, however, said the train robbery charge didn't seem appropriate because it is designed for robbers who board a train to steal from passengers. In this case, it appeared Vallejo-Camerena wanted to steal the train itself, not rob its occupants, the prosecutor said.

"It really wasn't your classic train robbery," he said. "It's more like a carjacking."

In addition to carjacking, prosecutors charged the man Wednesday with two counts of grand theft and two counts of assault on a police officer. The grand theft charges stem from Vallejo-Camerena moving the engineer's and conductor's bags after boarding the locomotive, the prosecutor said. Vallejo-Camerena is charged with two counts of assault for pointing his loaded bow at the two officers, even though he had only one arrow, the prosecutor said.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Too bad he didn't attempt that on my train. I have a little S&W .40, in a model 23, for just such an occasion. Only an idiot would bring a bow and arrow, to a gun fight :-D

by SteelWheels21

OK, I know that you're not supposed to confront someone in a situation like this. But come on, a HOMEMADE bow and arrow? I guess it's the 7 years of bouncer in me that tells me I would have handled that a little differently. The crew was definitely smart for hitting the fuel cutoff, but all I can picture is some guy with a stick and a string.