• Who was that photographer?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Idiot Railfan

Yesterday (10-17) around 5:30-6 p.m. I saw somebody walking around Hoboken Terminal blatantly carrying a camera!! And apparently with permission, as he was not being hassled (at least that I saw). Looked to be in 20s, dark hair, mostly black clothes.

Was that somebody who is on this forum?

You may have seen me. I was the guy rushing for the train.

by Jtgshu

Oh you were THAT guy rushing for the train, not the OTHER guy rushing for the train.......gotcha

:wink:

Hey IR, how bout some photoshopped whole consists of CNJ PL42's and CNJ bi-levels?????

that'd be nice!

by nick11a

That description could fit many railfans (myself included.)

It wasn't me. When I'm in Hoboken, I keep my camera under wraps until I'm ready I see something I want to shoot. Then I carefully and inconspicuously remove the camera and shoot. Probably should just get the permit.

I know Sullivan1985 hangs around there here and there but somehow I can't see him getting a photo permit. :-D

by sullivan1985

nick11a wrote:That description could fit many railfans (myself included.)

It wasn't me. When I'm in Hoboken, I keep my camera under wraps until I'm ready I see something I want to shoot. Then I carefully and inconspicuously remove the camera and shoot. Probably should just get the permit.

I know Sullivan1985 hangs around there here and there but somehow I can't see him getting a photo permit. :-D
Yeah I don't want to deal with a permit. I'll just shoot when I see something I like and move on. There are actually tons of places on public property to get good shots of the trains, and cops haven't bothered me at stations in a long time.

Plus, it's not like I'm hiding anything. Nick has seen me in full gear. I'm kinda hard to miss. Now I have an all new camera set up with two 35mm SLR's and a back jam-packed with lenses and accessories.

But that was not me in Hoboken.

by nick11a

sullivan1985 wrote:
nick11a wrote:That description could fit many railfans (myself included.)

Yeah I don't want to deal with a permit. I'll just shoot when I see something I like and move on. There are actually tons of places on public property to get good shots of the trains, and cops haven't bothered me at stations in a long time.

Plus, it's not like I'm hiding anything. Nick has seen me in full gear. I'm kinda hard to miss. Now I have an all new camera set up with two 35mm SLR's and a back jam-packed with lenses and accessories.

But that was not me in Hoboken.
Yeah, Sullivan and O'Sullivan united with the full gear back in September of 04. That was a good time. One of these days, Sullivan and O'Sullivan will combine their powers again.

by sullivan1985

WAIT! Actually it just hit me as I was randomly thinking about odd things before going to sleep.

That Photographer may be Michael Rosenthal, Official Photographer for NJ Transit. He was in Secaucus Yesterday with a large backpack, and a Nikon D70 with a 200(?)mm lens and a very large flash attatched. He has kinda long hair? I'll scan it when I get home, because there is an article about him from when he won in the Bergenite (local paper for Rutherford Area).

Hes the guy that wons that railroad photography award a few years back with those shots of the GP40FH-2 in the bergen tunnels, and a few other shots of trains laying over in Dover at night.

I think he has also done all the photography in the Secaucus Transfer room where you are able to look east down the Main Line.

by njtmnrrbuff

When I was at Perth Amboy on Sat, I saw loads opf places from public property to take pictures especially from the Smith and Market overpasses. Never forget the Raritan Bay. I might come back there the day after thanksgiving.

by nick11a

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:When I was at Perth Amboy on Sat, I saw loads opf places from public property to take pictures especially from the Smith and Market overpasses. Never forget the Raritan Bay. I might come back there the day after thanksgiving.
Oh yes, I do like Perth Amboy for photography.

Word of warning, watch out at the Raritan Bay. I was photographing there last year when the cops stopped me and temporarily detained me until they ran a complete background check on me and make sure I was who I said I was. Not something I would care to repeat.

by njtmnrrbuff

Nick,
I remember reading your post about the hassle. It is amazing about all the wierd rules since 9-11. When I was went by the bridge there, I actually went underneath to the other side. While I didn't have my camera, that is a good side to be on when the sun is in the west. I haven't photographed in HOB in a long time. While I might get the permit, at times, my trips can be arbitrary at times. Even the station platform at Perth Amboy offers nice views especially of the signal bridge.

by pdman

In the late 50s the engine crews on the mainline talked about how in 1938 someone from the German consulate in New York City got permission to ride the front end of #3 all the way to Buffalo. The fellow set up a movie film camera on a stand with batteries that were sufficient to film all 395 miles. Another fellow rode the observation lounge doing the same that day.

Hmmmm. I wonder what Germans in 1938 were doing with such films?

What I wouldn't give to see those films today.

by nick11a

pdman wrote:In the late 50s the engine crews on the mainline talked about how in 1938 someone from the German consulate in New York City got permission to ride the front end of #3 all the way to Buffalo. The fellow set up a movie film camera on a stand with batteries that were sufficient to film all 395 miles. Another fellow rode the observation lounge doing the same that day.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it? It's probably locked away in some German secret vault somewhere- if it still exists.

by sullivan1985

nick11a wrote:Makes you wonder, doesn't it? It's probably locked away in some German secret vault somewhere- if it still exists.
"Next, on The History Channel. American Railroads found in German Pre-WWII intelligence. Tonight at 9"

by Ken W2KB

pdman wrote:In the late 50s the engine crews on the mainline talked about how in 1938 someone from the German consulate in New York City got permission to ride the front end of #3 all the way to Buffalo. The fellow set up a movie film camera on a stand with batteries that were sufficient to film all 395 miles. Another fellow rode the observation lounge doing the same that day.

Given that World War II was started by Germany on September 1, 1939, one can take a good guess. (as you imply :-) )

by Jtgshu

hmmmmmmmmmmmm makes you wonder about reasonings behind the present day photography "restrictions"..............

Nothing new, terrorists and enemies have been doing it for over 60 years, and probably even longer than that, i wouldn't be surprised if they used it during the Civil war as well, "making documentary photos" of the land and RR infrastructure.

But everyone today is just "over reacting" because Im SURE the Germans has NOTHING in mind with those tapes and it was just a COINCIDENCE that they were taken just prior to the breakout of WW2........

by Terrapin Station

Wasn't me, but yesterday I did walk all over Hoboken Terminal with my Photography Permit around my neck, taking photos, and no one stopped me. It was sweet! I also took photos at Newark Penn and Newark Broad. I've only uploaded 9 photos so far and you can find them HERE. After I upload all of them and add captions, I'll make a thread about it.