Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by LIRailfan79

I have to leave my house at 5am. i Live on Long Island (Port Jeff branch, past Huntington). so i will be taking the train that arrives in Penn Station at 6:31am (the next train from the Port Jeff branch east of huntington that arrives in Penn Station gets there at 7:37am and i'm afraid that thats cutting it too close to get to Grand Central by 8:07am. also i want to explore Grand Central a little bit, i'm hardly ever there).

by mainline

LIrailfan I think your best bet is to take the train out of Stamford. It's about 1 hour from Northport to Stamford.

by LIRailfan79

Nah, i want to make it an all railroad day. plus i enjoy getting to see grand central, as i said before i am hardly ever there.
also, driving to stamford makes me nervous (no, i'm not a wimp about driving up there) i would just hate for something stupid to happen (like a breakdown, unexpected traffic or a fender bender) that would cause me to miss my train and ruin my whole day.

by njt4172

I just bought my tickets for the trip..... I think I will just drive to Stamford....I'm glad Metro-North is doing something like this with rare mileage and photo stops and all for the railfan crowd!! NJT would never think or do such a thing....!!

Steve

by NJD8598

Let's hope mother nature gets all this rain out of her system this week and keeps things dry for the 23rd.

by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:I just bought my tickets for the trip..... I think I will just drive to Stamford....I'm glad Metro-North is doing something like this with rare mileage and photo stops and all for the railfan crowd!! NJT would never think or do such a thing....!!

Steve
I'll probably see you there then Steve (boarding at GCT- if I get up early enough :-) )

by njt4172

nick11a wrote:
njt4172 wrote:I just bought my tickets for the trip..... I think I will just drive to Stamford....I'm glad Metro-North is doing something like this with rare mileage and photo stops and all for the railfan crowd!! NJT would never think or do such a thing....!!

Steve
I'll probably see you there then Steve (boarding at GCT- if I get up early enough :-) )
Cool! :-D

by njtmnrrbuff

Can't believe it that almost a week has passed.
  by RussM

Got the e-mail today giving the final schedule for the FL-9 trip. It should be a great experience. I have two questions for our good buddies from MN who put so much effort into organizing this trip:

1) How will check-in be handled in Stamford ? Will there be someone in the waiting room to do the honors ?

2) Is there any plan to organize seating arrangements, so that trip participants won't be scrambling and squabling over seats ?
  by MN Jim

RussM wrote:Got the e-mail today giving the final schedule for the FL-9 trip. It should be a great experience. I have two questions for our good buddies from MN who put so much effort into organizing this trip:

1) How will check-in be handled in Stamford ? Will there be someone in the waiting room to do the honors ?
Yes, there wil be a table set up at the eastern stair down from the ticket office waiting area to the track 2 platform. Other entrances to track 2 will be closed.
RussM wrote:2) Is there any plan to organize seating arrangements, so that trip participants won't be scrambling and squabling over seats ?
Customers will be assigned to specific cars (so we can get the correct lunches to the people who requested them), but seats are not assigned. Unfortunately, with the cars sold to 70% capacity, not everyone will get the seat they want. However, there should be no need for a middle seat of a three-seater to be used.

And, in case anyone hasn't bought their ticket yet, the trip is completely sold out.

Jim

by 4 Express

I changed my e-mail address, so the one I gave to Metro North is now inaccurate, can anybody show me the e-mail or tell me how to tell them I changed my e-mail address? Thanks.

by njtmnrrbuff

I saw the letter. I am looking forward to it, especially the rare trackage. I hope the weather is nice especially if we will be going through areas with a lot of foliage. Where is track two in stamford?

by Terminal Proceed

The trip is officially sold out as of today.

Kevin
  by RussM

MN Jim - Thanks for the info. If the center seats don't need to be used, there should be no problems. I am sure that most people will be willing to swap positons with their seat mate, taking the window one way, and the aisle in the other direction.

by njtmnrrbuff

David,
Sorry I didn't know about asking that. Just asking a simple question. Please respond in a better way. I was asking is because I am anticipating crowds, as expected.