• Southwest Chief 4(8) Delay; On Board Fire

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Amtrak31

John_Perkowski wrote:You missed the point, young man.

There's an old saying "Be careful of what you ask for, you may get it."

There is a corollary to that: Be careful of what you post on a public board, people can and do connect the dots.

You've linked two accidents involving Superliner equipment and GE Genesis passenger locomotives. Due diligence by the operating safety officers at 60 Mass may well demand they report an unsafe pattern involving road equipment. In turn, senior operations officials may, under appropriate law and policy, request investigation. While that goes on, NTSB has the authority to stop use of Genesis locomotives and the Superliner passenger fleet.

Here ends todays lesson.

John Perkowski
"I'm going to guess this fire was the same as the Amtrak fire that occured in Lemont, IL. The one in Lemont, IL was nothing serious." The engine that was involved in the fire in Lemont, IL is running again. I was guessing that it was nothing serious, which it appears that it wasn't anything serious, which is good. Now, anything could have happened in the New Mexico fire. I feel you may have just misunderstood my post. I see what you mean that if I were to say it was "definately" the same as the fire in Lemont, IL that I would be saying there was a systemic cause to the fires, but I was just guessing in my post that it was the same.
Last edited by Amtrak31 on Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by rhallanger

Bathroom fire disrupts Amtrak's Southwest Chief
ALBUQUERQUE -- The Southwest Chief train was delayed on its trip through Albuquerque after a fire broke out in the train's bathroom, according to the Associated Press.
Albuquerque police and Amtrak says yesterday's blaze probably was caused by someone smoking.

Amtrak spokeswoman Marcie Golgoski says the fire started in trash can and was confined to a bathroom.

Police and firefighters investigated whether the fire resulted from a methamphetamine lab on the train.

More than 100 train passengers had to stay in their seats while officers inspected some of the cars.

No hazardous materials were found.

(This item was distributed by the Associated Press Oct. 11, 2005.)

by Amtrak31

John_Perkowski wrote:You missed the point, young man.
Mr. Perkowski, I respect you by addressing you as Mr. Perkowski. I kindly ask you do the same for me by addressing me as Mr. Hart. I get all of my info from my father, who works for the NTSB. If you have anymore questions, you will have to take them up with him.

Nick Hart

by AmtrakFan

Mr. T,
Thank You for sharing that info. I have learned the Fire started in the Toliet of one of the Coaches by someone who was having some issues.

by Gilbert B Norman

MODERATOR'S NOTE

I think we have broken every rule there is to break at this topic so it's bedtime.

The material relating to the possibly abandonment of the existing Chief route over Raton Pass has been moved to another topic where discussion shall continue.

As for the delay sustained by #4(8), the matter is closed insofar as this Forum is concerned.

GBN