Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Scotty Burkhardt

CRL goes as far as Mokena. They switch the lumber yard just south of Hickory Creek. That runs as needed (about twice a week) always between rush hours (M-F).

As for the IAIS, there is a local run which switches the cement yard in Mokena and connects with EJ&E.

GE's are allowed on the Rock. Most of the CSX trains have SD-40's or GP-**'s but I have seen an AC4400CW. Once upon a time (this summer) Amtrak took a detour on the Rock, P42 in the lead.
  by spRocket

My office has a nice view of the Metra/RI line at 191st St. in Mokena (a.k.a. the Road Construction Project From Hell), right where the CRL lumber run makes its deliveries. The past few days, though, in addition to the usual CRL and IAIS runs, I've seen eastbound UP freights in the mid-afternoon.

Is this a detour from the ex-GM&O line at Joliet, or are they coming in all the way from Council Bluffs?

by CSX ENG

Here's some info regarding CSX on the RI Line: The outbound train (J745) usually gets onto the Rock Island at Robbins around midnight. The locomotive on the rear of the train is NOT a DPU----it is used as a caboose (shoving platform) so the conductor has a place to ride while shoving from Barr Yd. to the "Long Track" (between CP Francisco and CP 123rd). After the shove is complete, the conductor will go to the head end. The locomotive on the rear end will serve no other purpose and will stay on all the way to Ottawa. The inbound trip (J746) will come through Blue Island sometime after 0500 and will have all the locomotives on the head end, as this train terminates at the BRC and no shoving move is required. Also, there are no restrictions as far as road power is concerned---they can use EMD or GE's. Hope that answers some of everyone's questions.......
Last edited by CSX ENG on Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by CSX ENG

SP Rocket wrote: "I've seen eastbound UP freights in the mid-afternoon.

Is this a detour from the ex-GM&O line at Joliet, or are they coming in all the way from Council Bluffs?"

Yes, I've also heard that IAIS is now hosting a UP train from Council Bluffs. Not sure where it terminates, however........