• Cane Creek Branch, Moab Utah

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by DaveP

I happened to be mountain biking in Moab Utah last week and by pure luck saw a train on what I believe is UP's Cane Creek branch. Is this indeed the Cane Creek Branch? Can anyone give me some general info on this line? How often does the train I saw run to Potash?

Thanks in advance

-dave

by CLiner2005

Dave, I was told by the river cruise operator in Moab that a Potash train runs once a week on that line. I was in that area on October 2nd and 3rd and noticed that the ROW appeared to be well maintained - and the rail was polished. I'll be back there this spring and summer - hopefully, I'll get a move on film.

by SSW9389

Trains in Moab, what a Grande idea!

by rhallanger

You can run a free demo of Trainmaster 4 over this line.

You can download the free program at http://www.railfanclub.org/TrainMaster/TrainMaster.zip

TrainMaster offers other train routes. Visit www.trainmaster.com for more information. Mention that you came from RailFanClub and receive a 5% discount.

About the Potash, Utah demo Route

Leaving Potash (MP 37, elevation 3,952 feet), you head north, past the processing plant, with the Colorado River to your right and Utah route 279 in between. You follow the river as you head up Long Canyon with Amasa Back on your right and Jug Handle on your left. Passing several small canyons on the left you start to climb an average 1.1 percent grade and turn up Bootlegger Canyon to tunnel under Poison Spider Mesa. Coming out of the Bootlegger tunnel, 7,068 feet long, you overlook Arches National Park on the far side of the canyon. From here to Brendel you will roughly parallel US 191. Shortly before Seven Mile you crest the first summit (MP 23.2) and drop steeply to a small yard and one of the few grade crossings on this route, State route 313.

You again start a short 1.1 percent climb, passing Courthouse Rock to your left. After cresting the grade, you drop on about a 1 percent grade to Courthouse Wash on your right. Gradually, you climb up the wash, then Bartlett Wash, then Klondike Wash, ending up on a wide plain known as Klondike Flat. After passing under Route 191, you climb another summit (MP10.2) and drop down again. Your final 1.1 percent climb begins near MP5 and does not end until you turn on to the mainline at Brendel, having passed under I-70 and crossing the old highway (US 6/ US 50). The switch to the mainline is hand thrown with electric lock, which means you should stop, unlock it (wait five minutes), and throw it to line your movement. After your train clears the switch, you should again stop to allow a crew member time to re-line and lock the switch. Your run ends soon after leaving the branch, heading east on the former DRGW mainline.
  by jkrail

DaveP wrote:I happened to be mountain biking in Moab Utah last week and by pure luck saw a train on what I believe is UP's Cane Creek branch. Is this indeed the Cane Creek Branch? Can anyone give me some general info on this line? How often does the train I saw run to Potash?

Thanks in advance

-dave
Hi Dave:
I did some railfanning on this line in 2000.
Near the portal at Moab, there is a dirt road that will get you near the tracks for a great photo. Also, you can chase the train after it leaves the mine to a crossing near Canyonlands National Park Rt. 313? for a great photo.
I was told that the mineral removed from the mine these days is salt.
A good way to find out what is happening with railroad shipment is to call the Moab Chamber of Commerce or the mine and ask!
Keep in mind that these email and phone addresses are six years old.

Moab Salt 435-259-7171
Moab Chamber of Commerce - [email protected]

Good luck....
Jerry Kelley

by ljeppson

Also when the Atlas mill tailings are removed from Moab they will move north on this branch to a disposal site near where the branch joins the main line. It's going to get really busy.