• Secaucus and exit 15X

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by E-44

IRFCA_RRfan wrote:Couldn't help but post the following from the Record:
Even current New Jersey Turnpike Authority officials say Interchange 15X was an ill-conceived boondoggle from a previous administration.

"The deal certainly wasn't good from a turnpike standpoint," spokesman Joseph Orlando said. "By the time this administration took over ... we had already fronted $78 million to the project. What do you do at that point? Stop?"
The paper also shows plans for a 6-level parking deck with a pedestrian crossing over the Turnpike directly into SEC.
Hopefully it will all come together sometime in the future with the overpass over the freight lines, Parking deck(s), Hotel(s) the Transit Village, MedowlandsRail Link etc..
Hmmmm. Let's see. We can...

a) stop the loss at $78m and just pack it away until the site developers can pay for it as they agreed (when something is built) and put the $62m back in the budget for other, more pressing needs

b) dump in another $62m for something that's not needed

by pgengler

If there's one thing politicians are good at, it's throwing good money after bad.

by BigDell

It'd be a nice place to put a railfan platform. Hmmm..... Freight, passenger.. all kinds of good stuff. That exit looked appealing from that POV.

Yes, tongue in cheek.

Hope that expensive, strange project comes to some good use.
BigDell

by BlockLine_4111

Does New County Rd. in Secaucus still exist? I could not locate during ride to Hoboken this weekend.

by pgengler

BlockLine_4111 wrote:Does New County Rd. in Secaucus still exist?
If I'm not mistaken, part of the construction of the Secaucus station, and the relocation of the BCL between SEC and HX, involved removing the at-grade crossing and instead elevating the road over the tracks. My guess is that it's still there, but instead of going across it you'd go under it.

by ryanov

pgengler wrote:
BlockLine_4111 wrote:Does New County Rd. in Secaucus still exist?
If I'm not mistaken, part of the construction of the Secaucus station, and the relocation of the BCL between SEC and HX, involved removing the at-grade crossing and instead elevating the road over the tracks. My guess is that it's still there, but instead of going across it you'd go under it.
Exactly right. It's the road on top of that fancy bridge with the red stairwells.

by BlockLine_4111

My younger brother was shocked that Harmon Cove stop in now gone. My grandfather is surprised as to the fate of New County Rd., he used to work in the trucking business for years and also familiar with the locale, especially w/railroad too.

by BlockLine_4111

Spotted New County Road rising above the rr now. Odd, very odd looking arrangement.

by speedbird

BlockLine_4111 wrote:Spotted New County Road rising above the rr now. Odd, very odd looking arrangement.
The project currently in the works is raising New Co Rd above the freight line just east of the station ... the last of the at-grade railroad crossings in town. There is considerable political will in Secaucus given that the mayor's son was killed at the Main Line crossing in the late 80s.

by Steve F45

New county road is still there, it goes over the main/pv line and goes toward a construction companies lot and then goes into the hackensack river park/hudson county park. But there is still the one freight crossing on new county.
  by jscribe

I used to travel down from Montvale (with my pops) to the North Bergen Park and Ride, right outside the tunnel and take the bus there into the Port Authority and then walk from there to work. I think platforms at Secaucus would accomplish the same thing - allowing people to drive TO the City, without having to drive IN the city. I'm sure pops would drive that extra five minutes to Secaucus b/c he works in the Empire State Building and it would be extremely convenient. But does one pops provide a basis to add parking???

by JoeG

Secaucus was supposed have no parking. The reason was, the planners didn't want the roads to Secaucus, which includes roads usually used to get to the Lincoln Tunnel, to get more traffic. They wanted passengers to start their rail journeys farther from Manhattan. To put it another way, NJT didn't want to short-haul itself with Secaucus.