• Denver, CO - Ski Train

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

by BlockLine_4111

Neat excursion service from Denver to Winter Park.

http://www.skitrain.com/

by espee

I have done it twice. First time was for railfanning in Winter Park. Second time was just to ride the train :-D

by BlockLine_4111

Spotted it today in Fraser and Winter Park (return). Three (3) F40s on the point. Awesome loooking train. May see if the group from Denver wants to ride up one weekend.

by espee

Were these the F40's in the Rio Grande inspired scheme? Even though they are a variation of the original, they do look nice. At least Anschutz kept the Ski Train in service. The schedule has increased over years due to the popularity of riding trains. During the winter, all you would ever see were the skiers headed to Winter Park. Now there are more regualr riders.

by BlockLine_4111

Three (3) F40s is too much HP, especially w/high price of fuel.

by espee

I presume the reason for 3 locos is due to the grades. But I am not sure. But you have a very good point about the cost of fuel! They will probably raise ticket prices next (just like everything else)

by BlockLine_4111

I think 6000 healthy HP is fine for that train, perhaps 1 is a protect loco as confidence may be low.