• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by pumpers

JohnFromJersey wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:59 pm .... They ended up using a good section of the ROW of the old diamond approach for curving the southbound leg's ROW to avoid those guywires.
And to miss that sewer pumping station or whatever it is just north of the new wye ROW and west of Railroad Ave.
  by JohnFromJersey

In any case, it does not look like the old diamond approach is long enough for any meaningful storage anymore.
  by Bracdude181

Not even engine parking? Or as a spot to put a car if it needs to be set out cause of a defect?
  by JohnFromJersey

Maybe an engine or two could be parked on it from what I saw. But we will have to wait for them to put down tracks first.
  by pdtrains

Too much crazy speculation, IMHO.

Most likely.....They are doing whats in the state rehab plan 1st. Thats the stuff that the state mostly paid for. You cant mix private construction with the state paid for construction.

So most likely, the wye will get done, and then C&D will work on extra tracks....Possibly they are applying for separate state money to help with that,..IDK.

In the mean time, the best place, logistically, to leave cars or engines would be on the CNJ main between the north and south legs of the wye.....thats the track that will seldom be used after the wye is done. Unfortunately, thats mostly in downtown Farmingdale, IIRC, so not possible from a practical standpoint.

My guess....based on absolutely no information...is that they will put in a siding connected on both ends, somewhere just west of the wye on the freehold line.

My plan is to just wait and see.
  by CharlieL

For the naysaying that went on when we first found out D&D was gonna rehab and take over this line, all I gotta say is it was spectacularly wrong. It's almost a work of art.

Looks like the roadbed has been filled and compacted just west of Railroad Ave. Ties and track next week ??
  by Ken W2KB

JohnFromJersey wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:59 pm If anyone is in any of the Facebook groups, it looks like the wye is really coming along.

One thing I will say, it looks like they had to go back to the drawing board to avoid moving the JCPL guywires. They ended up using a good section of the ROW of the old diamond approach for curving the southbound leg's ROW to avoid those guywires.
JCP&L in all probability obtained an easement to locate its infrastructure at that location and the cost to relocate the guy wires and perhaps additional distribution would have to be at the railroad's expense. Hence the relocation.
  by Bracdude181

Expect another Tuesday only run again this week since now they gotta fix victory road too. Of all the roads they’ve done this month, this is the one that has gone the longest without being repaved (last done in the 80s) and it shows. It’s barely noticeable but the pavement moves when the train goes over it. Not good!! New road should fix that.

Hopefully they fix the weak bell on the one side too. Needs the gong rotated 90 degrees and the mechanism needs a little adjustment.
  by Bracdude181

9 cars
2005 (🤮)
Last edited by Bracdude181 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by GSC

Saw a video earlier of a nice healthy nine-car train crossing Okerson Rd heading to Lakewood, 752 leading. Looking good. How many times did I go over Okerson Rd crossing wondering if I'd ever see a train there? (Thanks Jim, nice video)