• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by RaritanWatcher

Tanker1497 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:54 am
Bracdude181 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:09 am EH Allen Pole in Sayerville comes to pick the poles up
How silly is this you can see Browns yard from EH Allen's roof. The car goes on a journey passed EH Allen going to to Jamesburg interchanges and gets delivered by another RR. EH Allen drives pass Browns Yard with several trucks and goes to Freehold to pick up the poles off the cars. Then drives pass Browns Yard to bring them back. I can count how many times they go by with the poles. All this and there's track with a siding to EH Allen not one but two one to the yard back and one to the front of the building. I'm sure the track needs to be repaired, but come on. Truly the dumbing down of America, in some third world Country some bare foot kit would be rolling these off the train in the yard. And were are the super power?
I'm sure C&D/D&RR could figure out a way to unload in Jamesburg.
  by pdtrains

Like everything else these days, id bet the mortgage that its all wrapped up in Legal. Are the poles treated with creosole or some other carcinogen? As stupid as it really is, unloading "toxic" items may be restricted to certain places. And then theres the liability legalities. Is there a place in browns yard where they can unload that is totally on CR property? and if so, do they need the land to be zoned for unloading railcars there. Maybe CR doesnt want the liability of having someone unload in browns yard. Im sure CR lawyers are involved with this.

Its all stupid, but welcome to the world we live in now. Backlash from the 60;s and 70's when big corporations got away with exposing workers and individuals to a lot of nasty stuff to save money. Now everyone is suing everyone else for every little thing. Also in the 1990's the doors were blown wide open for trial lawyers to have a field day...as a political favor......and here we are...
  by Bracdude181

They seem to be regular power line poles with no chemical/creosote treatment.

Interesting info there…
  by Ken W2KB

pdtrains wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:53 pm Like everything else these days, id bet the mortgage that its all wrapped up in Legal. Are the poles treated with creosole or some other carcinogen? As stupid as it really is, unloading "toxic" items may be restricted to certain places. And then theres the liability legalities. Is there a place in browns yard where they can unload that is totally on CR property? and if so, do they need the land to be zoned for unloading railcars there. Maybe CR doesnt want the liability of having someone unload in browns yard. Im sure CR lawyers are involved with this.

Its all stupid, but welcome to the world we live in now. Backlash from the 60;s and 70's when big corporations got away with exposing workers and individuals to a lot of nasty stuff to save money. Now everyone is suing everyone else for every little thing. Also in the 1990's the doors were blown wide open for trial lawyers to have a field day...as a political favor......and here we are...
Report from a year ago: "The U.S. EPA has canceled the registration for pentachlorophenol, or “Penta,” a wood preservative utilized primarily on utility poles that has been in use for decades .During the registration review process, EPA found that given the emergence of viable alternatives, “the risks pentachlorophenol poses to workers’ health outweigh the benefits of its use". . . . Alternatives to pentachlorophenol that the EPA listed include copper naphthenate and DCOIT, along with wood preservatives such as chromated arsenicals and creosote." https://www.tdworld.com/electric-utilit ... tive-penta
  by Bracdude181

Just curious does Penta look like creosote? Now that I think about it I don’t think I’ve ever seen them get a pole that was chemical/preservative treated…
  by PutUponPercy

In the late 90's I used to be over by Black Horse Ln in Monmouth Junction a lot and there was a builder supply that got service, I thought it would be coming from Browns but looks like it comes from further west - don't see a connection. Anyone have info?
  by CharlieL

Best I can recall, pentachlor was used in a product named "Woodlife" among others which was sold for preserving decks and fence. I believe it was taken out around 1980.
Ground contact (pressure treated) as opposed to "outdoor" lumber was (maybe still is) marked CCA, for chromated copper arsenate. I believe some of it is treated with borax now.
They worked the recycling place around 11:30. Guessing they delivered a tanker.
  by pdtrains

There's newer wood preservatives these days than CCA and creosote, both of which can be pretty nasty.
The newest stuff gives the wood a slight green or yellow tint. There's no way the would be getting utility poles that are not treated. Poles would get destroyed by pests and fungus .
  by pumpers

PutUponPercy wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:11 pm In the late 90's I used to be over by Black Horse Ln in Monmouth Junction a lot and there was a builder supply that got service, I thought it would be coming from Browns but looks like it comes from further west - don't see a connection. Anyone have info?
I swore I replied to this last night, but now (this morning) I don't see it so I'll try again.

Blackhorse Lane is on the far (northwest) side of the NEC, the other side from Browns Yard. There used to be an industrial spur called the Delco Lead that started around the Jersey Ave station (County Yard) and ran west next to the NEC about 5 miles, and then turned away sharply from the NEC at BLackhorse Lane to serve a few warehouse/light industry type of customers. Could that be what you are thinking of? This all went away 15- 25(?) years ago, and from about the old Johnson & Johnson complex heading west to the end near Blackhorse Lane the Delco Lead is overgrown, although I don't know if formally abandoned.

I imagine it was served out of north Jersey somewhere in the general Newark area (Oak Island but not sure). Where is CalChlor served from now (that big customer just west of Jersey Ave)? From Metuchen or Browns Yard would also have been possible too in theory...
JS

PS. NJT is trying to take over the Delco lead and double track & electrify it for rolling stock storage during the next Hurricane Sandy, to keep equipment from flooding like what happened to equipment down around the MMC. There are posts over on the NJ Transit forum. The project is sort of wrapped up into efforts to make a new Jersey Ave station where all the condos and big box stores have gone up at the old J&J site.
  by Redfish

In the early 90's there were a handful of customers at the west end of the Delco Lead. GAF was leasing part of the Johnson and Johnson warehouse and got deliveries of shingles. At Progress Road there was Smurfit, they got hoppers of plastic pellets. That building is listed as Davion now. Across Progress Road, where General Foundries is located, there was a lumber yard, but the name escapes me. Metuchen Yard serviced that area.
  by CR7876

Redfish wrote:In the early 90's there were a handful of customers at the west end of the Delco Lead. GAF was leasing part of the Johnson and Johnson warehouse and got deliveries of shingles. At Progress Road there was Smurfit, they got hoppers of plastic pellets. That building is listed as Davion now. Across Progress Road, where General Foundries is located, there was a lumber yard, but the name escapes me. Metuchen Yard serviced that area.
Blackstone