• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by AceMacSD

JohnFromJersey wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:23 pm
AceMacSD wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:55 pm Whenever they order a car.
I'm assuming that if Brick Recycling gets any cars, they will come through Jamesburg?
AceMacSD wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:58 pm Interchange'll be almost daily, don't expect 100 car trains going to Bank. Whatever's dropped off the night before, gets picked up and delivered to the customer or stored in fdale.
Pretty interesting that the part of the project that was meant to get freight off of the Coastline (Freehold-Farmingdale) is resulting in...
more freight on the Coastline (temporarily).

I assume that the interchange in Jamesburg will continue to operate as usual until the Spring, so parking the engines in Farmingdale is smart if they must go between Red Bank and Jamesburg often - Farmingdale is roughly the midpoint.
AceMacSD wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:58 pm The engines'll be based in fdale. That's the new base of operations.
Yep, on my way back from work today, I saw 2005 and 1888 parked on the leg of the switch in Farmingdale. I assume 752 will be joining them soon, in its new paintjob.

Does C&D have any intention of building any sort of office(s) or building(s) in Farmingdale? Even if its just a parking lot for employees to park? There is quite a bit of land there to do so, if they desire.
Lots to digest here.

Recycling cars can come in from either bank or jburg. There's no restrictions side from height, specially if it's an empty.

For coast freight traffic, it'll happen. Cars need to get to there destinations and transit's been very accommodating to the needs of CR & C&D. Speaking of freight traffic on the coast, there may be a special freight move to Brad Beach or belmar in the late fall. Spring lake's another option. More on that as details are hashed out.

Jburg will continue to be an interchange. Even though there'll be track work on the Freehold, the crew will just run the cars to Bank instead of jburg on those days. Remember this's only temporary during track work and not continuous.

C&D will have a bigger presence in Farmingdale. Farmingdale'll be the new base of operations, meaning the engines'll stay in Farmingdale, not jburg or Bank. As for an office building, probably not when a trailer and dirt lot'll do.
  by JohnFromJersey

AceMacSD wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:26 am Recycling cars can come in from either bank or jburg. There's no restrictions side from height, specially if it's an empty.
Sounds like, if Brick gets cars, the empties could come in through Red Bank, and leave through Jamesburg.
AceMacSD wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:26 am For coast freight traffic, it'll happen. Cars need to get to there destinations and transit's been very accommodating to the needs of CR & C&D. Speaking of freight traffic on the coast, there may be a special freight move to Brad Beach or belmar in the late fall. Spring lake's another option. More on that as details are hashed out.
Interesting... I assume CR will do that and not C&D? 2005 does have PTC abilities though
AceMacSD wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:26 am C&D will have a bigger presence in Farmingdale. Farmingdale'll be the new base of operations, meaning the engines'll stay in Farmingdale, not jburg or Bank. As for an office building, probably not when a trailer and dirt lot'll do.
Nice to see Farmingdale becoming the railroad town it once was again.
  by Bracdude181

Quick question for those who’ve been around since the CNJ-Pennsy days or otherwise know the history of the FIT and the Southern. What kinda diesel engines were frequently seen back in the day? I know PC ran RS11s but I’m curious as to what else has been down here and towards the end of the CNJ there was foreign engines on some locals. (Lehigh Valley ALCOS and maybe Erie Lackawanna stuff too?)
  by MHKProductions

Will there be an extra track for the locos in Farmingdale? Or are they just going to park them on one leg of the wye I know its not necessary since they are the only locos and trains to go through there. (even though CSAO still have trackage rights.)
  by JohnFromJersey

MHKProductions wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:31 pm Will there be an extra track for the locos in Farmingdale? Or are they just going to park them on one leg of the wye I know its not necessary since they are the only locos and trains to go through there. (even though CSAO still have trackage rights.)
The wye will have three tracks extending out from it. There will be the current leg that goes north towards Red Bank, the future one that goes south towards Lakewood (and beyond, if that ever happens), and then there will be the rebuilt former diamond approach track in the middle of the two, that I assume will become the storage track for the engines and whatever else.
  by JohnFromJersey

For better reference, check out this map.

White is the current switch leg in operation, blue is what the future southbound leg of the wye will be, and green is what will be a storage track.
  by AceMacSD

MHKProductions wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:31 pm Will there be an extra track for the locos in Farmingdale? Or are they just going to park them on one leg of the wye I know its not necessary since they are the only locos and trains to go through there. (even though CSAO still have trackage rights.)
There will be additional tracks in fdale besides the wye tracks. This'll give more storage car room. The engines could be parked on the wye tracks. With switches on each end, it gives the mechanics the chance to do proper lock out tag out to make the track inaccessible while they're working. Once all's done, you'll understand better. A lot of stuff's happening with alot of good things in the works. Stay tuned.
  by AceMacSD

JohnFromJersey wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:56 am
AceMacSD wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:26 am Recycling cars can come in from either bank or jburg. There's no restrictions side from height, specially if it's an empty.
Sounds like, if Brick gets cars, the empties could come in through Red Bank, and leave through Jamesburg.
AceMacSD wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:26 am For coast freight traffic, it'll happen. Cars need to get to there destinations and transit's been very accommodating to the needs of CR & C&D. Speaking of freight traffic on the coast, there may be a special freight move to Brad Beach or belmar in the late fall. Spring lake's another option. More on that as details are hashed out.
Interesting... I assume CR will do that and not C&D? 2005 does have PTC abilities though
Recycling cars could come and go either way as long as they're not loaded to a point that they'll interfere with NJT ops.

As for the other move, it's still in the planning phase between the shipper and the carrier. It'll be a CR move, most likely with a transit pilot taking over beyond bank or oport. It'll likely happen during the night. If the shipper still intends to move forward next step will be planning with transit.
  by Bracdude181

As of right now, a Conrail crew is working at Squankum Road putting wires in the ground for the new crossing…”
  by Bracdude181

Festival preparations going on in Farmingdale right now. All three engines are sitting there with the caboose and there’s a whole bunch of people putting up stuff
  by pdtrains

Speaking of freight traffic on the coast, there may be a special freight move to Brad Beach or belmar in the late fall. Spring lake's another option. More on that as details are hashed out.
[/quote]

Sounds like a high/wide/heavy move. I guess there are some unused team tracks or something down that way.

I
  by MHKProductions

Very cool to hear about that most likely it'll go to Neptune yard. Can you provide a source and you know what the symbol will be?
  by pdtrains

Relax..apparently its not a done deal. May or may not happen. And its way too early to be asking about train symbols.