• Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by STrRedWolf

rcthompson04 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:27 pm How much of this is driven by Amtrak or the host railroads? For example, it is known in the trucking business that the larger carriers openly encourage state governments to impose travel advisories / restrictions so they can proclaim force majerie and basically delay deliveries.
Most likely the host railroads.

Take your example. If it's raining hard, you know there's going to be flooding and the possibility of a wash-out, so delaying is best over getting shipments damaged/lost and/or staff injured/killed. The cost of the lawsuits that would incur running in hazardous conditions (no matter what mode you travel) would of exceeded that of just delaying it under cover of force majeure (which would prevent the suits in the first place).

Snow... well, that's a minor inconvenience for freight, but passenger rail, you gotta think of the passengers and their last mile.
  by ohioriverrailway

Any ideas on 43 (9) almost 5 hours late out of Harrisburg. Apparently we no longer have service alerts on the service alerts page....which still referrs to Twitter.
  by NortheastTrainMan

When I went to ride Amtrak Keystone 669 to Philly, Amtrak informed me the train would terminate in Philly, rather than continue to Harrisburg.
This was due to downed wires along the Keystone Corridor.
I caught a video of my train pulling into Philly on Track 10, note the other Keystone "sandwich" set on Track 9. It appears the trains were "tied down" until their next run.
Check out the video here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxKm1I4HnNs

The affected trains were as follows as per Amtrak's NEC Alerts Twitter:
- Keystone Service Trains 665 & 667 & 669 & 671 terminated in Philly.
- Keystone Service Trains 670 & 672 & 674 originated in Philly.
- Pennsylvanian Trains 42 & 43 were "affected." It's not too clear how as of this writing.

I'm not 100% sure if the Keystone Corridor as a whole was down.
At least according to SEPTA's Twitter / X page, Regional Rail trains were operating to Thorndale.
Perhaps it wasn't worth running to Downingtown & turning at DOWNS interlocking?
Same idea with Paoli, and by extension Bryn Mawr?
Assuming the train would turn at the platform and head east, the "final cross" from Track 2 to Track 1, if needed would have to be at Bryn Mawr for Keystones stopping at Ardmore.

If you have any info, feel free to share.
Best wishes to anyone stranded, especially out west.
  by STrRedWolf

NortheastTrainMan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:28 pm - Pennsylvanian Trains 42 & 43 were "affected." It's not too clear how as of this writing.
Taking a look at the historic timings, it looked like 42 and 43 were terminated at Harrisburg and Philly respectively, and turned to the other trains, and folks were bussed through. I got confirmation from a friendly Amtrak train crewman that it was the case.
  by justalurker66

Looks like the log jam cleared.

59(19) departed 1hr 32m late.
30(19) departed 2hr 54m late and made it to Elkhart 2h 57m late.
50(19) remains canceled (but I believe that was due to CSX track work).
48(19) departed 1hr 51m late.

The air line bridge has been out of service in Chicago for several years. When they lose the lift bridge they lose access to the south and east.
  by Jeff Smith

Switch issues west of NYP yesterday caused delays for my ride on 190 from Stamford by about 45m. Return from Springfield on Vermonter 55 was delayed by almost an hour. They're still dealing with the flooding from summer.
  by ohioriverrailway

justalurker66 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:19 pm Looks like the log jam cleared.

59(19) departed 1hr 32m late.
30(19) departed 2hr 54m late and made it to Elkhart 2h 57m late.
50(19) remains canceled (but I believe that was due to CSX track work).
48(19) departed 1hr 51m late.

The air line bridge has been out of service in Chicago for several years. When they lose the lift bridge they lose access to the south and east.
30's progress?

* WTI * * 1 1023P * 114A Departed: 2 hours, 51 minutes late.
* TOL 1 1139P 1 1149P 223A 232A Arrived: 2 hours, 44 minutes late. | Departed: 2 hours, 43 minutes late.
* SKY * * 2 1240A * 321A Departed: 2 hours, 41 minutes late.
* ELY * * 2 115A * 353A Departed: 2 hours, 38 minutes late.
* CLE 2 145A 2 154A 420A 422A Arrived: 2 hours, 35 minutes late. | Departed: 2 hours, 28 minutes late.
* ALC * * 2 305A * 546A Departed: 2 hours, 41 minutes late.
* PGH 2 505A 2 520A 727A 737A Arrived: 2 hours, 22 minutes late. | Departed: 2 hours, 17 minutes late.
* COV * * 2 659A * 926A Departed: 2 hours, 27 minutes late.
* CUM 2 920A 2 932A 1152A 1200P Arrived: 2 hours, 32 minutes late. | Departed: 2 hours, 28 minutes late.
MRB * * 2 1101A Station Stop Canceled
  by STrRedWolf

twropr wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:56 am Why was there single TK operation? Any idea what happened to 400?
Thanks
Andy
New Carrolton is only 2 tracks + a bypass. I don't know why MARC 400 broke down, but it broke in station (blocking one track) and it had to be dragged back for repairs... that took about 4-ish hours to do so.
  by west point

NS tanked all Amtrak train Friday 9/30 afternoon and up to midnight. Due to systemwide signal failures. West Peachtree HDGs must be humming. Malware???
  by ohioriverrailway

Glad I'm not on the Lakeshore or Cap. 30 is 4:38 late into Alliance, 48 is 3:08 late at Elyria, 49 2:38 late Sandusky. 29 got off easy...only 1:16 late at Waterloo. Lots of chances for daylight photography tho.......
  by west point

west point wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:02 am NS tanked all Amtrak train Friday 9/30 afternoon and up to midnight. Due to systemwide signal failures. West Peachtree HDGs must be humming. Malware???
All Amtrak trains on NS took further delays around 0600 EDT