• Ms. Knowles' Express

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Gilbert B Norman

According to this Times article, to reach the Giants/Jets stadium from Manhattan, you have to change from the DL&W to the ERIE at Secaucus.

Apparently, that is where Ms. Knowles last performed in the NY area.

"Not Exactly" my "music", but "to each their own".
  by pumpers

To be clear,
it’s the PRR mainline from Penn Station NY to the new Secaucus Junction station, where you change trains (originally called Secaucus Transfer in its early days),
then the DL&W Boonton Branch for about a mile,
then a new S-curve connector for ~1/2 mile to swing over to the Erie (built as part of the Secaucus Transfer project I believe),
then the Erie main line for 1-2 miles,
then the Erie’s “NJ & NY” line for maybe 1/2 mile,
and then finally the new more or less U-shaped track for ~1 mile to the final Meadowlands station.

Note the term Secaucus “Junction” station is a misnomer from the railroad point of view. The crossing PRR and DL&W tracks do not have connections and never did. They are now grade-separated and I think always were but not certain.

“New” means ~20 years maybe, vs. roughly 100-150 for the rest of it.
  by Gilbert B Norman

You indeed have a point, Mr. Pumpers.

If we are addressing predecessor roads, I should have noted, as you have, it was the PRR - the DL&W was latter day trackage rights.

But let's see, the ERIE passes underneath the PRR. Never having ridden (and apparently never will as I think it has been chopped up) , the DL&W Boonton Line apparently also passes under the PRR near where Secaucus Junction is located.

But for one whose annual exposure to the NFL is the Super Bowl to watch the ads, and whose music destinations in NY have names such as BAM, Carnegie, and Geffen, where Ms. Knowles performs is not my concern.
  by pumpers

I was responding to your statement that "According to this Times article, to reach the Giants/Jets stadium from Manhattan, you have to change from the DL&W to the ERIE at Secaucus."
From what I can see, the NY Times article doesn't mention predecessor railroads at all, it just has a link to the NJ Transit web pages.

Former DL&W and former Erie tracks are involved, but not as you stated. Coming from New York, to get to Meadowlands stadium, at Secaucus Junction one transfers from a train arriving on former PRR tracks to a train on former DL&W tracks. Back in the day, I don't recall the Erie, DL&W, or PRR having any trackage rights on each other's rails from the site of the current Secaucus Junction to Meadowlands stadium. (Around 1956, a few years before the Erie and the Lackawanna merged, the Erie started using the DL&W Hoboken terminal station on the Hudson River for its passenger trains instead of its own Pavonia station, but the connection between the Erie and the Lackawanna was farther towards the Hudson River (compass southeast) than the modern site of Secaucus Junction.

J S
  by Gilbert B Norman

Again, you do have a point Mr. Pumpers. I guess it doubtful if a 25yo "Cub" with The Times who got this assignment "to ride a bunch of trains" would have no knowledge of predecessor roads. His job was to report on Ms. Knowles' fanatics. :P

So apparently the ERIE Main Line (which I have ridden "bumper to bumper" and the DL&W Boonton Line (never rode) paralleled one another into Patterson where they diverged.

It appears, though, that to drive I-80 through NJ (which I've done many times) one has "ridden" the Boonton Line.
  by R36 Combine Coach

It is possible to run through NYP-Meadowlands with an ALP45: a reverse move in Kearny onto the Waterfront Connection and then on the West End wye.
  by pumpers

An interesting idea - also PRR DLW Erie, but we add the DLW main to the mix. I never thought of that. Sounds like a good fan trip some day :)
  by STrRedWolf

Before we get too far, we have to answer the one question everyone before coffee or any urge to look at a link that takes them off the page is saying: Who the **** is Ms. Knowles?

I'll save you the NY Times subscription demand: The reporter went to a Beyoncé (aka Beyoncé Knowles-Carter) concert and documented the fans going there. Buried in the report was the need to transfer at Secaucus.

That said, we covered this a lot through the "Through Running Instead of Penn Station" thread as a side-note.