• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Kaback9

Bracdude181 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:38 pm I know trucks are needed for the last mile and other specific situations where rail doesn’t work. It’s this just in time delivery garbage everyone does now. It doesn’t work with rail.

Its pretty sad because rail-served warehouses at one point was something we did so well that other countries actually looked at America at the time trying to do it with their railroads, and this was during the Penn Central era!!
It works, the game has changed. Intermodal and transloading now does what the rail served warehouse once did in most situations while allowing you to not have to be located near a rail line. While it would be nice to see more rail served industry. Realistically most places don't want to pay for that added cost having a siding brings.
  by Bracdude181

Alright, I’ll give you that. Sidings cost a lot especially in NJ.

Just on transloading it amazes me that someone hasn’t done it on a larger scale down here. Idk about some people but if I had the option of going to a rail transload station 5 miles from my building vs going to North Jersey or somewhere else far away I’d go for the transload.
  by Kaback9

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:18 pm Just on transloading it amazes me that someone hasn’t done it on a larger scale down here. Idk about some people but if I had the option of going to a rail transload station 5 miles from my building vs going to North Jersey or somewhere else far away I’d go for the transload.
It's already being done with two customers Woodhaven and Builders General. What they are doing is essentially a transload.

I'm sure the D&R is looking for other customers along the lines they could provide a service like that for too. The problem is right now everyone is hungry and if you're not bringing in X amout of carloads it's hard to justify using rail over truck.
  by Bracdude181

Woodhaven especially. ABC Supply and 84 Lumber get stuff from them though most of what they get goes to the monster houses they build in town that the Jewish stuff their entire family into. (Sometimes 30 people or more!!)

I’ve had people tell me before that whenever someone approached Conrail about service down here they would tell them that the customer would need to get at least 8 cars a week to consider them as being profitable. When Asbury Park Press moved to freehold they would get more like 4-6 weeks tops so when they asked Conrail they told them no. They get their stuff from International Paper in Spotswood I think?

Wonder what C&D considers as profitable…
  by jdh823

Let's be honest,

To set up a transload, you likely need an anchor customer(s) to make it even worthwhile to build one. What facilities down there could even utilize a potential transload? You can't just build it for nonexistent traffic
  by Bracdude181

Word on the street is that it’s manufactures and one or two other people in the Lakewood Industrial Park who want it most. Mainly Church and Dwight. I think they get inbound loads of plastic pellets and possibly other chemicals. Whatever they make seems to get loaded into domestic intermodal containers and standard 53 foot trailers. Lots of hub group and JB Hunt containers. Wonder if any go out on some of those NS trains out of Croxton/Port Newark? I’ve been told they contacted Conrail about service a few years ago but idk how far they got if they did. Would be nice to know just how much plastic trucks they get a day. Seems like a lot considering the size of that place, but is it enough to potentially justify leaving cars on the Lakewood siding for them to unload? Kinda like what they do at Delaware Express in Raritan Center? At least that’s what I’d do.

As for out of town stuff, I have seen trucks bring marine containers into town: Some domestic containers also come off CSX in Philly. They also get kosher food from Dependable Foods in Heller Park near Edison, who get refrigerated boxcars once in a while off Raritan Central. I think most of what they get in town is from their “pick and pack” warehouses. These are like Amazon fulfillment buildings but they are for things they buy off their own websites and as seen on TV stuff. Supposedly it all comes out of a giant warehouse in upstate NY somewhere. Probably wouldn’t use trains for that. No one else does AFAIK
  by Kaback9

jdh823 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:19 pm Let's be honest,

To set up a transload, you likely need an anchor customer(s) to make it even worthwhile to build one. What facilities down there could even utilize a potential transload? You can't just build it for nonexistent traffic
Agreed, I don't see why you would need one other than for sand ( and that's a stretch at best) moving maybe up from the pits to a site in Lakewood or further up the southern. The area is already reasonably well served by railheads in Philly and North Jersey, it doesn't cost that much to move a truck from either.
  by AceMacSD

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:49 pm I’ve had people tell me before that whenever someone approached Conrail about service down here they would tell them that the customer would need to get at least 8 cars a week to consider them as being profitable. When Asbury Park Press moved to freehold they would get more like 4-6 weeks tops so when they asked Conrail they told them no. They get their stuff from International Paper in Spotswood I think?

Wonder what C&D considers as profitable…
There was nothing indicating that a business needs to get 8 cars a week. APP and CR had come to an agreement on service. APP was downsizing and made changes to suit their operational needs. CR still helped accommodate their needs.

You'd brought up Church & Dwight. Guy down the street works for there logistics. They don't need rail service or require it for there Lakewood plant. They don't get plastic pellets either. They get plastic bottles manufactured overseas and shipped in containers. Their materials mostly come from Canada. Lakewood makes toothpaste, air freshners, and oxider based cleaning products. Their service has been great and have no need for transloading or having a rail spur built or relocating to the other side of town. Their outbound products are mostly shipped to international distributors with a smaller portion remaining here in the states.

Since most of the traffic coming into NJ comes from Canada, CP should build that transload in TR. Think of how fast all those seniors can get their cut rate Canadian pharmaceuticals. After all, us 55 & olders need our pills right away.

Mr. Kaback welcome back.
  by Kaback9

AceMacSD wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:27 am Mr. Kaback welcome back.
Thank you! Glad to be back.

Bracdude181 wrote:If they get plastic from overseas where do the pellet trailers come from?
AceMacSD listed a bunch of products they are making. Pretty sure some of those would require a bulk trailer of some sort.
  by AceMacSD

Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:32 am If they get plastic from overseas where do the pellet trailers come from?
Just spoke with my neighbor, they DON'T get plastic pellets. They get premanufactured plastic containers, bottles, time etc. in boxes shipped from an international distributors. They do get bulk deliveries of powered materials such as sodium bicarb. Maybe this is what you're seeing in those "pellet trailers"?