• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by OportRailfan

baju wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:21 pm Excuse me for being ignorant of this. But what is #10 turnout?
A turnout (switch diverging from a straight track) good for movements at 15/20mph, that has 1' of lateral movement for every 10' of train movement through the turnout. You'll find a turnout leading into a siding. Crossovers take you from one main track to another. (i.e. crossing over from No. 1 to No. 2 track via 12 Sw.)

"In North America this is generally referred to as a switch's "number". For example, on a "number 12" switch, the rails are one unit apart at a distance of twelve units from the center of the frog."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_switch
  by OportRailfan

Bracdude181 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:32 pm
As to why it’s not in the gauge, it seems like it’s meant more to mark the space the train takes up outside the gauge, implying that you should stay at least that far back. Hopefully it also takes dragging equipment into account.
Most railroads have a definition for "fouling" the track. Most dictate 4' from the field side of the rail. I assume this is at least 4' from the field side, if not more.
  by Bracdude181

Through Farmingdale at 11:10 AM. Running quick today. This early even though they had a car to pick up at Extech!!!
  by Conrail Blue

They made the pick up at Extech around 830. But unfortunately they pulled all the way past the switch and reversed to pickup the car on their hind end so no opportunity for a picture. Bummer I made the hour long trip for nothing.
  by GSC

Was in Farmingdale this morning and saw that Southard Ave was blocked off at the crossing for the water main work. Couldn't really get close to it for pictures. Trucks were having some difficulties with the detours set up.
  by Bracdude181

Yellowbrook RoadImage
Okerson Road. Notice the broken rail ends on the rails that are sitting in the dirt.Image
  by CharlieL

Looks like they're planning to do Railroad Ave to Southard Ave this week, including the switch. A very large stack of wood ties at Railroad ave, and excavation leaving stub rails at Southard, with some additional clearing of the roadbed. Does not look like part of the water main work.