• Philadelphia I-95 and Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ryanwc

I'm wondering whether the collapse of an Interstate bridge after a tanker truck wrecked underneath and caught fire will push any drivers to Amtrak. I do understand that there are bypass interstates around Philly, but I'm guessing that losing an entire interstate will push enough traffic onto the alternate routes that they'll jam up for large parts of the day.

But what do people closer to Philly think?
  by STrRedWolf

ryanwc wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:55 pm I'm wondering whether the collapse of an Interstate bridge after a tanker truck wrecked underneath and caught fire will push any drivers to Amtrak. I do understand that there are bypass interstates around Philly, but I'm guessing that losing an entire interstate will push enough traffic onto the alternate routes that they'll jam up for large parts of the day.

But what do people closer to Philly think?
They're probably be a bump in SEPTA commuter traffic, especially the SEPTA West Trenton and Trenton lines... but for Amtrak itself, not so much. It mainly affects local traffic that uses I-95 between Philly and Trenton. Most folks going through Philly to DC or NYC would divert onto I-295 in New Jersey around Philadelphia. I'd imagine most freight traffic would go through I-295 as well.

Just to check... for today, most regionals are 80-90% full from Baltimore to New York. I doubt we'll see any bump.
  by MACTRAXX

RWC and RW: Expect little to no affect for Amtrak NEC riders with the shutdown of I-95 through Northeast Philadelphia. The SEPTA Regional Rail lines that are offering added alternate service are the Trenton Line, West Trenton Line (northern segment between Somerton and West Trenton) and the Fox Chase Line. All SEPTA RRD stations are offering free parking - the largest facility is at Cornwells Heights along I-95 north of the closure zone with around 1600 estimated spaces available...

The most direct way north and south is to just stay on the New Jersey Turnpike between Exit 1-Delaware Memorial Bridge and Exit 6-PA Turnpike connector (in recent years signed I-95) which parallels I-295.

This subject has not had a lot of interest even being the major Philadelphia news subject that it is - see:
i-95-collapse-amp-trenton-line-t175641.html
(SEPTA Forum section) MACTRAXX