• New Atlanta Station

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Billybob

Didn't know where else to ask this.

If Atlanta turns out to be a hub like so many studies call for. Where could they put an expanded Railroad station?
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. William Roberts, as I noted at a related topic, yes it would be beneficial if Amtrak relocated their station elsewhere. Once I was going to meet a fellow (now deceased, lived in Atlanta or Chattanooga his entire 74 year life, but never knew where Hartsfield KATL/ATL was, or cared to, and the Sat/Nav in my auto couldn't sort out all the Peachtrees. So I was late, which is an "almost never happens" with me.

My proposed location (and yes, I'm "down there enough" to know the lay of the land) for a relocated station would be in the Buford area where the SRY and MARTA (rail) parallel one another, there is ready access to the 285 "perpetual construction zone", and there is sufficient space to include a house track so cars could be added or cut from The Crescent, build a platform to platform Amtrak/MARTA transfer, and even to consider an additional daylight ATL-WAS frequency which let's call "The Piedmont".

Now insofar as an Atlanta "hub" for several "Mini-Corridors", say, between Atlanta and Macon/Savannah, Valdosta, Birmingham, Chattanooga, fine to dream about and to have "connected" consultants feed at the trough with the result being some coloring books. There is simply not the political will for such, as the region is "autocentric" and the most growing and affluent area is Cobb County. They have repeatedly rejected proposals to extend MARTA - even considering that the Braves venue is out there (whatever its "name of the day" may be) - and they won't even allow MARTA to extend their bus routes into the county.
  by Jeff Smith

Is the "Gulch" still available?
  by Anthony

Jeff Smith wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:11 am Is the "Gulch" still available?
Yes and No. The Gulch is in the process of being developed by a private developer, which hasn't included a transit station in the official development plans. However, as part of their development agreement with the city of Atlanta, they are required to leave space for a future transit hub under the development. In other words, while there are no official plans to build a transit hub in the Gulch as part of the currently planned private development, there will always be the possibility of building one in the Gulch in the future. Of course, plans can change, and there are elected officials lobbying for the developer to include a MMPT station in the private development.
  by David Benton

Why not have multiple stops in the Atlanta metro area?. Well at least Peachtree and one other.
  by STrRedWolf

David Benton wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:38 am Why not have multiple stops in the Atlanta metro area?. Well at least Peachtree and one other.
Say I'm going to a convention in Atlanta, down town. No car, taking Amtrak in. The convention is at the Marriott Marquis Atlanta. It's downtown in the hotel district. It's a few blocks from MARTA's Peachtree Center.

That's not where the Amtrak stop is.

Amtrak Peachtree is on the corner of Peachtree Street and Deering Road in Brookwood, well north of Peachtree Center. It's not down town and you have to get on the 110 bus to Arts Center station and transfer to the rail line there to get down town.

Some of you are reaching to point out Baltimore's Penn Station as the same, to which I counter that it's a major station on the NEC with 4 functional tracks (expanding to 8), a Light Rail track to get you into Downtown and the Inner Harbor (Go see an burd game, hon!), and four bus lines that drop you right into Downtown straight-shot. Atlanta is a side-platform one track station with no direct link to a subway or light rail and only a single bus connecting it, plus you need to transfer to get anywhere. The closest similarity would be the BWI station.

Now, build a station at Brookhaven/Oglethorpe, with plenty of room to do three platforms, pre-existing parking, and that link to the MARTA rail station there, and you solve the transfer problem and some freight issues as well. Its not as good as a downtown station, but at least you have room for it (and a Waffle House nearby).
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Wolf, you and I are on the same page.

I was unaware that Brookhaven comprised so much territory. When I "go down" to visit with long standing friends, I stay at a Hyatt which is off the 285 at Ashford Dunwoody - and is also within Brookhaven.

But it seems like no matter where you put it along the SRY, you can't get away from all those Peachtrees!!! :P :(
  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:37 am Mr. Wolf, you and I are on the same page.

I was unaware that Brookhaven comprised so much territory. When I "go down" to visit with long standing friends, I stay at a Hyatt which is off the 285 at Ashford Dunwoody - and is also within Brookhaven.

But it seems like no matter where you put it along the SRY, you can't get away from all those Peachtrees!!! :P :(
Yeah, for me I would of spent money getting the trains down via new trackage to King Memorial and plunk a new station there (namely to honor the civil rights leader). Brookhaven would be a lower cost alternative.
  by Gilbert B Norman

STrRedWolf wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:05 am Say I'm going to a convention in Atlanta, down town. No car, taking Amtrak in. The convention is at the Marriott Marquis Atlanta. It's downtown in the hotel district. It's a few blocks from MARTA's Peachtree Center.
Mr. Wolf, are your furry friends intending to converge there in the near future?

Please don't get me wrong. I have stayed at a hotel - Crowne Plaza in Dunwoody (Perimeter) where fans of fantasy writer Robert Jordan gather for their "Jordancon". They are resuming such, after a three year hiatus (wonder why?) at the same venue.

I've met at the Bar some of the participants with at least their headdresses removed. They are a "heads up" bunch of guys and gals - college educated and holding professional level positions. There were even two who were going to take The Crescent back to Wash - in Coach. They asked me if I knew how to get to the train station "we know it's not Downtown" they added. I said "well there's always a taxicab, but if you're looking for something more on the cheap, take MARTA (within sight of the hotel) to Arts Center, and from there a bus over to the train station. You got plenty of time (four hours) and you'll have more than plenty when you find out the train is late".
  by Jeff Smith

I should add that if I recall correctly, a station in the "Gulch" would present operational difficulties such as a reverse move. Probably best to move to Lenox. As for the former SRY Peachtree commuter station, I'm not sure I see a reason to keep it other than for historical purposes or an Atlanta commuter railroad. I sure that where NS is concerned, they'd love to see it gone.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Thinking back to '62, AWP-SRY and SRY itself, were straight through, but the SAL was a "back in run out".

At Union, the NC&STL, GA, and ACL were all straight through.

But again, let us not lose sight the Gulch is an active freight rail facility. Those structures such as the sports arena (what's it named now?) and to my knowledge (gladly defer lest I be mistaken) the CNN building and the exposition center do not have basements. If more of the Gulch is to be developed, those developers could well insist their structures have basements and a "sorry 'bout that" to the passenger train advocacy movement.

Finally again lest we forget just how autocentric the region is. They'd rather sit in that parking lot named the 285 that occasionally moves like some lava flow than ride a swiftly moving passenger train.
  by Jeff Smith

GBN, excellent points all. I do wonder if ATL will ever reach that tipping point. Having survived the Downtown Connector and GA 400 for several years, I would hope that the GA Legislature and Governor see someday that the choking traffic comes at a rather large economic cost and chokes the state economy.
  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:53 am Mr. Wolf, are your furry friends intending to converge there in the near future?

Please don't get me wrong. I have stayed at a hotel - Crowne Plaza in Dunwoody (Perimeter) where fans of fantasy writer Robert Jordan gather for their "Jordancon". They are resuming such, after a three year hiatus (wonder why?) at the same venue.

I've met at the Bar some of the participants with at least their headdresses removed. They are a "heads up" bunch of guys and gals - college educated and holding professional level positions. There were even two who were going to take The Crescent back to Wash - in Coach. They asked me if I knew how to get to the train station "we know it's not Downtown" they added. I said "well there's always a taxicab, but if you're looking for something more on the cheap, take MARTA (within sight of the hotel) to Arts Center, and from there a bus over to the train station. You got plenty of time (four hours) and you'll have more than plenty when you find out the train is late".
Next month, actually. Furry Weekend Atlanta. Alas, I won't be going (my next travel will be back to Pittsburgh for Anthrocon). I'll forward your message over.
  by Greg Moore

Jeff Smith wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:38 am I should add that if I recall correctly, a station in the "Gulch" would present operational difficulties such as a reverse move. Probably best to move to Lenox. As for the former SRY Peachtree commuter station, I'm not sure I see a reason to keep it other than for historical purposes or an Atlanta commuter railroad. I sure that where NS is concerned, they'd love to see it gone.
Yeah, I can't see Peachtree staying for anything, especially for commuter trains since already it disrupts NS so much.

It's time has come (if ever did) and gone.