• Salem Action Alert

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by stevefol

I think there is a higher chance the customers that are left , which are all near the Everett coke works, will move on. I doubt BO-1 is going to survive much longer, and all customers left will be serviced by whatever LA-2 is now called and its runs a few nights a week.
  by newpylong

Doubtful.
  by doublebell

With the impending closure of Rousselot, there has not recently been service to there.
John
  by Badandy

Fake news! Where you gettin your info?
6 lds. dely on 3/14....
6 lds. dely on 3/16....
By the way I live within sight of the plant........
  by NHV 669

7 empties pulled, 7 loads delivered on 3/9 as well.
  by stevefol

News article states end of 2023. I don’t doubt that as long as the customers exist it is profitable for CSX to serve them. But a scrapyard (pulverizer), a cement terminal, and possibly the produce center, this is all land very close to Boston, and the value isn’t falling. The main railroad business will be carrying the dirty dirt away. DOBO (construction materials) will be fine. Maybe CSX will do a deal with NHN?
  by Badandy

......needless to say, it's also a big tax payment to the City of Peabody......
by the way, 7 more loads (3/21) for the plant arrived.....
  by newpylong

stevefol wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:24 pm News article states end of 2023. I don’t doubt that as long as the customers exist it is profitable for CSX to serve them. But a scrapyard (pulverizer), a cement terminal, and possibly the produce center, this is all land very close to Boston, and the value isn’t falling. The main railroad business will be carrying the dirty dirt away. DOBO (construction materials) will be fine. Maybe CSX will do a deal with NHN?
CSX is not Guilford where their survival revolves around selling off property piecemeal for 40 years. They do not pay the MBTA any trackage rights and maintenance requirements on the track(s) in question is minimal. There is no incentive to drive this profitable traffic away. The consignee might choose to close but the railroad won't help them along.
  by stevefol

Again, I'm not saying CSX is going to drive the business away. I'm saying the business is going away because of gentrification of the area.
  by stevefol

BO-1 (lone MEC 507) passed West Medford at 8:55 heading north - something that seems to be a regular Wednesday morning run now. I'm guessing Lowell bound, and will return a bit later with some loads. LA-2 (or whatever the new symbol is) passed with 12 loads at 10:40 last night, and returned with 22 cars around 3am.
  by stevefol

And returned at 3:10 with 3 boners, 4 tanks and a boxcar, so gel plant tomorrow
  by b&m 1566

Have trains stopped going to Rousselot?
  by Badandy

I drove by. Saw a tank car inside............
The whole branch; What a waste !!
  by newpylong

The plant still should have a few months left.
  by FatNoah

When I started this thread from an outbound Orange Line train 15 years ago, I didn't expect it to become the de-facto tracker for traffic beyond Everett.

It looks like today is the end of an era (and possibly the most well documented end of service to any rail custome. In other places, I've seen photos of 516 festooned with a "Last Run to Peabody " placard on the front.

Hopefully the line will be reviived, but I expect that a rail trail is likely its fate.