• NY's Penn Hotel

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

The Times has quite an article that appeared this past Sunday in the Print Edition.

Fair Use:
Bit by bit, floor by floor, the building that once rose 22 stories over Penn Station is shrinking before the city’s very eyes. The black netting draped over its ever-diminishing brick is like a magician’s handkerchief; once removed, it will reveal — nothing.

Behold: The Great Disappearing Act of the Hotel Pennsylvania.

This isn’t — or wasn’t — just any building. This was once the largest hotel on earth, with 2,200 rooms, shops, restaurants, its own newspaper, and a telephone number immortalized by the bandleader Glenn Miller with a 1940 song “Pennsylvania 6-5000,” for which the complete original lyrics are:

Pennsylvania Six Five Thousand

Pennsylvania Six Five Oh Oh Oh

That’s it.
https://youtu.be/K3OJTMl5LCg

However, there appears to be some conjecture between The Times' report and the immediately linked recording regarding lyrics.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Another trivia point; back in the days before memomic phone numbers, i.e. I-800-USA-RAIL, were "in", business would try to have a phone number with 000 in it (my Father's machine tool distributorship had (212) ENright 9-4000),

Towards that end, the PRR had in New York for passenger train information and reservations PEnnsylvania 6-2000; the General Offices in NY were PEnnsylvania 6-6000.
  by ExCon90

And with the disappearance of named exchanges, the same number segued into 736-5000 and lasted through various name changes until the end -- a rather impressive whimper when you think of it.