Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

As of today, here’s the progress. Took some pictures on the 33 bridge.Image
Okerson Road looking east.
Howell Road looking east.Image
Howell Road looking west.

Here’s the pictures from the 33 bridge looking both ways.Image
  by pdtrains

Thx for the pix. So nice to see some RR coming back from the dead. Looks like we are into the steel tie/new rail portion of the program.
  by Bracdude181

C&D has a specific standard for tie placement depending on tie type. I don’t remember exactly what it was.
  by pumpers

Those ties sure look close together. Is that just for the metal ones? It looks like ~1 foot center to center vs. more like 3 ft being most common. JS
  by JohnFromJersey

pumpers wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:45 pm Those ties sure look close together. Is that just for the metal ones? It looks like ~1 foot center to center vs. more like 3 ft being most common. JS
I wonder if the ties being so close together will allow for C&D to run trains (relatively) faster there, and have less track maintenance over time.
  by pdtrains

Look at the 8th pic from the top (2nd pic from the bottom). U can see that the space between ties is fairly normal.

The other pix just have telephoto bunching, which makes them look closer together.

Also, considering that there is old rail sitting outside the steel tie new track..id say thats the new rail.

Also, as mentioned before, the steel ties have to be made for exact width of the rail base..so the steel ties are prob only used with the new rail that it was made for. The old rail and tieplates can be used with wood ties.
  by CharlieL

Yeah, that's new (used?) rail. Looking closely, it looks heavier. Could be my eyes, though.

Spacing of ties looks normal to me, the steel ties are wider, especially the ends. I think maybe the old ties were further apart by a few inches.
  by AWSmith

Great pix thanks for posting. They are supposed to be two feet on center according to their standards posted far back in this thread.
(edit)
Found it, pages 38-39 of the PDF
wood tie spacing in tangent, 20 inches o/c
steel tie spacing in tangent, 24 inches o/c
http://chesapeakeanddelaware.com/images ... ndards.pdf
What do you suppose will be the posted speed over this new track? 10 or 25 mph? I guess they cannot use the steel ties within the grade crossing signal field territory. Wonder if the joint bars are insulated at the transition point.
  by Bracdude181

Those are from the old website so I don’t know if those standards are outdated or not.

Will probably be 25 if the rebuilt track is anything like the 2890 feet or so of track they replaced in Englishtown.