• Green Line Collision 7/30/21

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by R36 Combine Coach

I've long known the Green Line lacks automatic trippers (cocks), would CBTC be effective here in keeping cars apart and maintaining frequent schedules? SEPTA has had a CBTC installation on the center city tunnel (Market Street Subway).
  by BandA

What a shame that nobody is being held responsible for this preventable accident.
  by CRail

People are being held accountable. No one is being convicted of a crime, the two are completely different things.
  by BandA

Okay, I'll bite; How many people, other than the motorman (that is the correct title?), have been fired from the MBTA and/or MassDOT because of this collision and/or his rehiring and lack of effective discipline for previous infractions.
  by CRail

That a question for the Authority, not for a panel of spectators.
  by BandA

You stated that people were being held accountable. I'm just asking, specifically, what people are being held accountable. Because I don't see it
  by CRail

You stated nobody was held accountable. That, as we all plainly know by now, was not true. You're not going to know what internal decisions have been regarding others within the Authority, if any, and if I or anyone else here were privy to that information, we wouldn't be at liberty to share it on a forum.
  by BandA

I'm calling for public accountability and you are calling for hiding malfeasance behind procedure. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
  by jwhite07

BandA, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the T to volunteer details of specific disciplinary measures. But if you really really really need to know, you could submit a FOIA request. You might even get an answer in ten years or so and if this forum is still around then (I don't see why it wouldn't be), then you can tell us all about it. Meantime, nobody here knows, so why the back and forth?
  by RandallW

And if it was because of a medical situation, there may be an obligation *not* to share details. Public accountability can only go so far before it becomes malfeasance in and of itself.

My town has a swim team and fired its coach a few years back when he got charged with driving under the influence because accountability means not letting people who drive drunk drive a town van with children. In this case, the "influence" turned out to be an undiagnosed diabetic sudden loss of blood sugar. Needless to say the coach got full back pay and medical leave (he retired for health reasons, but got to retire with regular benefits instead of fired without them). What I'm getting at with this story is that holding someone accountable by firing them can be malfeasance.