• Discussion topic: Amtrak's 2045 goal: To be net zero

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by SRich

WASHINGTON – As part of Amtrak’s vision for the future, Amtrak has pledged to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions across the Amtrak Network by 2045. This net zero emissions target focuses on expanding efforts across Amtrak’s entire carbon footprint to reduce environmental impacts from operations while safely moving people.

Amtrak thinks to archieve that by the following methodes:

* Achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions across Amtrak’s network by 2045: Begin with efforts to increase energy efficiency, followed by the implementation of renewable fuels and energy.

* Reduce diesel fuel use through advanced technologies: Leverage industry-leading research and testing in collaboration with state partners and experts to progress innovation and research in fuel-cells, hydrogen, batteries and other zero-emission technologies.

* Achieve 100% carbon-free electricity by 2030: Continually focus on energy efficiency upgrades to reduce consumption and gradually meet all remaining needs using carbon-free electricity through renewable energy generation and power purchase agreements.

Is stated on their website: Amtrak

I know that Amtrak is ordering new hybride IC trainsets for the North East Corridor.
And that thru the State of Callifornia 29 ZEMU(or Hydrogen powered trains) are ordered for the state-funded Amtrak California services.

But it wonders me, what could Amtrak also do more for reaching Carbon neutrallity.

A couple suggestions from my side where Amtrak can "relatively" easy cut carbon emissions
* Electrify the Amtrak owned Empire connection with 12 kV 25 Hz.
* Buy the entire Niagara Falls to Poughkeepsie corridor (including the already leased part) from CSX, and Electrify it with 12.5 or 25 kV 60 Hz, but the wires must be high enough that CSX double stack trains still can run on the line(for future electric freigth). Negotiate with the MTA to allow wires to be installed on their part to the bridge of the Empire connection. MTA can use the Empire connection for their future connection to Penn.
* Electrify the Amtrak owned New Haven to Springfield line.
* Electrify the Amtrak owned Michigan Line( or Chicago–Detroit Line) including the 135 state owned miles

As alternative for electrifying the New Haven to Springfield line Amtrak could order hydrogen trains, like the ZEMU's in California.
But the most logical option in my humble opion could be using hydrogen powerd locomotives. If Siemens, Progress Rail, Wabtec or an another manufacturer could build an locomotive with the same capacities as a diesel powered locomotive then Amtrak could be really carbon neutral of real zero by 2045.

Maybe we could discuss other points of view. :wink:

I searched for a similar topic and couldn't find it. If the mods/admins don't like it, you can close it or merge it with another topic.
  by shadyjay

Yes to electrifying the New Haven-Springfield line. Maybe to the Empire Corridor. I think for starters for the Empire corridor, Amtrak and NYSDOT should relay the removed-in-the-1950s/60s 3rd and 4th tracks from outside Schenectady to the Buffalo area. That should allow the freights and Amtrak to play nice together, reduce delays due to congestion, and allow for service expansion. Right now it would be fiscally irresponsible to electrify for 3 daily roundtrips, one of them being a LD train. South of Albany, yes, if you can get past the NIMBY factor, then electrify it. There's a lot more trains in that section than west of Albany.

Personally, though, I'd like to see a more travel-centric goal of more trains, better relationships/timekeeping with the freight rrs, better customer service, etc by 2045 than reducing emissions. Heck, will Gateway (3rd Hudson tube/whatever we're calling it now) be finished by 2045? How about traditional dining back East, or service along the Gulf Coast east of New Orleans? Those seem more like customer-oriented goals to me to shoot for.

I just don't want the "net zero" goal by 2045 mean that the corridors are net zero, and the L-D trains have gone away due to [insert your Amtrak rant here].
  by electricron

Political double speak. Amtrak has been promising for most of its 50 years of existence the goal to be break even soon.
Nothing new here, and I do not expect Amtrak to ever keep its promises.
  by ExCon90

Any promises about becoming profitable have never been more than lip service; nobody who knew anything ever expected "Railpax" to be profitable in the true sense. That language was only put in the bill to get the votes necessary to pass it, and I think it was generally accepted at the time (even by the "ayes") that deficits were inevitable but something had to be done about the passenger-train problem until long-distance passenger trains died a natural and necessary death. (Just stating, not judging.)

As to zero effect on climate change, Amtrak has already achieved that: Amtrak's share of the travel market is such that Amtrak's total emissions have approximately as much effect on world climate as a fly on the back of an elephant.