• New interim LIRR president sees MNCR and LIRR as one railroad

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by nyandw

I've been scolded in the past to "butt out" on these type of threads. However, after 25+ years of reading these "What if fantasy conjure threads" doesn't it get old? It will not happen. Look at the GC East Side project major delays, and tens of others in the last 5 decades. (The recent NYA Bayridge to NJ nonsense, for example) Proposed, studied, delayed, reviewed, ad nauseum... Frankly it is all wishful nonsense, over and over... Go back in history and read previous threads and/or news material.. An entire waste of bandwidth. :-(
  by edflyerssn007

nyandw wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:21 am I've been scolded in the past to "butt out" on these type of threads. However, after 25+ years of reading these "What if fantasy conjure threads" doesn't it get old? It will not happen. Look at the GC East Side project major delays, and tens of others in the last 5 decades. (The recent NYA Bayridge to NJ nonsense, for example) Proposed, studied, delayed, reviewed, ad nauseum... Frankly it is all wishful nonsense, over and over... Go back in history and read previous threads and/or news material.. An entire waste of bandwidth. :-(
I think the main reason people are talking about this is that Amtrak, MetroNorth, and LIRR are all going to be purchasing the same motive power. What percentage does that change things? Unknown, but sometimes a fantasy thread can be fun. By the way, I love your site, great reference material.
  by BOMOPTSKWH

There’s also the huge issues of physical characteristics qualification and dovetailing the rosters. BLET and UTU would fight this to the end.
  by Kelly&Kelly

I trust you will see more combining of purchasing, contracts, insurance and maintenance aspects of the two railroads.

The labor unions have been decimated by the State Democratic leadership. Their views are no longer even a consideration by the MTA's administration. The State now gets exactly what it wants, usually with the blessings of the labor organizations.
  by BOMOPTSKWH

There will still have to be separate seniority rosters. LIRR crews can’t be getting calls from the crew dispatcher to report in Harmon. Same goes for MNCR people getting told to report for a work train in Hampton Bays. Although- since MTA IS an uncaring, bloated, taxing and corrupt government scheme-anything is possible.